Home > Trip Reports > 13 October, Muir-P Patch-Golden Gate

13 October, Muir-P Patch-Golden Gate

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 10/14/07 8:58am
Tangerine, Scotsman, Stewie and I went at it; my first day of this "season' and first post in a while.
Super weather; skied shirtless for an hour (on the ascent).  There were 3-4" of several-day-old fresh. Above Pan it covered a hard base and was very skiable.  More of a mush down low but very corn-lke above about 8000'  Not well bonded; when I hit some steep tidbits it sloughed, but only those few inches.  The 4 of us shared climbing and turns with Kenji.  Hello to Andyski and your wife.
We descended via the Patch and there was lots there, very deep and unconsolidated at the top dropoff (i.e. I launched and biffed, which I think Scottie will say is one of my signature moves  :D ).
We found a way into Golden Gate, and Kenji and I linked patches to 1/2 mile from the car with no meadow damage.  And only a little to my bases....
Good to meet ya!
Who knows, maybe next w/e will be skinning from the lot again.

Wouldn't that be great. I think we should be able to ski off pan again by next w/e.

author=telemack link=topic=7946.msg31736#msg31736 date=1192406329]
There were 3-4" of several-day-old fresh.

That description reminds me of reports that mention "wet powder."  ;)

In any case, way to get at it. I rototilled and hiked this weekend - still watching for my entry into the ski season... (was in Boston last weekend, but could see the amazing snow blanket as the plane took off...)

Define NW powder:
1.  You can't drink it.
2.  Well, maybe you can sip it, but it still doesn't need to be chewed.
3.  You can't wait to slice it.    8)

Mac
Sorry I missed the the powder.  Game on for this season? This week looks like a good base in the forecast.

Reply to this TR

13-october-muir-p-patch-golden-gate
telemack
2007-10-14 15:58:49