Home > Trip Reports > Ptarmigan Ridge, Saturday,Oct13/07

Ptarmigan Ridge, Saturday,Oct13/07

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 10/13/07 3:44pm
After the epic powder reports of Oct.5th, Ptarmigan Ridge was buzzing with TAYers, associates of TAYers and TAY lurkers (and their dog). I had only received one response after I had put a call-out to my telefriends. Tom K. is a friend from Seattle, who has also skied with other members of the TAY community. A new skiing acquittance, Rod O. (who knows several people from TAY and skis all year) had crossed the border earlier. He was waiting for the snow to soften when we caught up to him at the Artist Point outhouse. We had already seen Toby T.,Matt C. and his girlfriend at the ski area parking lot. We talked to TAYer Hilly and his posse near the start of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail working on their 23rd month.

From Artist Point on the question was do you post hole (photo 1) or ski on a trail that lacked snow in numerous sections. Rod had not taken skins, so he didn't have to think too much. I did a bit of both.

Toby, Rod and I met up with a party of 5 skiers and a friendly dog where the trail makes the hairpin turn. We all chose to ski down there (photo 2) and then go x-country below the regular trail. It meant going through a rock garden (photo 3) and then climbing  back up to the ridgeline.We had some delightful turns over the permanent snowfield near the trail. Tom and I decided to not follow the Table Mt. trail and to take what will become the winter route. This was a bit of an adventure. Everyone had left by the time we reached the car. We did run into most of them again at the beer shrine several hours later. After a half hour wait, we had not been seated so we left.
Season's revvin' up early.

We missed the big stuff last weekend, but it looks like there is more coming our way. Definitely sooner than last year.

Great report & photos Telemon! It was nice to meet you on such a fabulous day in the mountains making October turns. Hope some beer was left for you at the shrine!!!

I am sure that there was beer, but unfortunately there wasn't any tables. We left after waiting for about 30 minutes. For those who like to see more pictures, check out my other post  http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38145

Hi Bob,
Great report and pictures!  I recognize that middle ridge picture, and I thought it was fun back in August, but it looks 100 times more enticing without the rocks showing through.  Looks like you had great weather.  Well, next time.  It looks like we're heading south Sunday to Rainier area.  I'll see what you're up to in November and beyond.
Regards,
Don

Reply to this TR

ptarmigan-ridge-saturday-oct13-07
Telemon
2007-10-13 22:44:51