Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2003, MRNP Mt. Ruth

June 8, 2003, MRNP Mt. Ruth

6/8/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by paul_smith on 6/10/03 4:56am
Todd and I drove to White River campground to find the parking lot nearly full and the almost snowfree campground closed, why? We took a spot anyway.
A 7:30 start brought us to just shy of boulder basin after an easy 2.5 mile hike where we could start skinning. Two gray bearded climbers fresh from the summit of Rainier came charging down the trail, we stopped and exchanged some small talk. They asked if we knew the two rules of skiing? ;D No! Was the reply.
The first rule is to hold your hands out in front of you, he demonstrated, the second rule is don't f**k-up! 8) With these sagacious words ringing in our ears we continued our skinning.Light winds and good climbing conditions brought us to Ruths' summit sooner then I expected.
We ate lunch with Rainier looming above us and the endless procession of climbers and skiers on the interglacier below.No summit register this time although I believe I've seen one in the past.
The 3,000 run started just short of the summit, cutting to skiers right I set off a nice slow sluff whish ran for several hundred feet hissing and moving like a snake. Not to be outdone Todd set off a similar one which also ran for several hundred feet. Some sections were enjoyable corn, others were grabby with pollen and other debris, I'll try some vegi oil on my skis tonight, and others just spring slop.
All and all a great day on the hill and should remain so for a few weeks.
Here's some shots from the trip. Paul

http://community.webshots.com/album/76266078ziGHvZ
Nice photos, thanks for sharing, looks like you and Todd had a great trip.

Nice report, Paul,
Thanks.
Great pics!!

Reply to this TR

june-8-2003-mrnp-mt-ruth
paul_smith
2003-06-10 11:56:29