Home > Trip Reports > 10-05-07, More Muir

10-05-07, More Muir

10/5/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bcskibdy on 10/8/07 3:41pm
Not much to add in the way of substance. Just this sky picture taken right before we dove into the gray.  Taken with my pt'n'sooht, so had to tinker to get the middle hole to show.  there's a name for this, I think.

Also this altitude induced doggerel.  With apologies to The Band.

Up from Paradise we're skinnin'
Fresh October turns we're winnin'
First to last today we're grinnin'
A TAYer's dream if I ever did see one.

Up at Pebble Creek there's powder
Every step my heart beats louder
Not a sign of Cascade Chowder

Up at Anvil Rock we're sendin'
Sweet October turns, knees bendin'
Friday afternoon soul-mendin'
No Crippled Creaky Crooner here!

author=bcskibdy link=topic=7918.msg31612#msg31612 date=1191912096]
  there's a name for this, I think.

I've heard it called a "glory" and a "spectre of the brocken." I don't know the origin of the latter term, don't think I spelled it correctly, and have only seen it in one place.

Beautiful photo for a point and shoot, BTW.

The Specter of the Brocken is a halo around the shadow of a climber cast onto the fog below. The halo itself is called the Glory. The name comes from a peak in Germany.

Good info and photos here.

http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/AntarSky.html

the posts on TAY are sssssssssssssssoooooooooooo much better than cascadewhiners.com. ;=)

Thanks to the wet summer got to see this one for about 5 minutes this summer in the Olympics...

The "spectre of the brocken" is a great shot.  I know they mention this phenomenon in the climbers guidebook to Glacier Nat'l Park...no clue as to the orgin...  I've only seen it once before...thanks for sharing.

It was described by early Alpinists of the mid-19th century.  Edward Whymper saw one descending from the FA of the Matterhorn, on "the day the rope broke".

Cool shots. Like others, I've only seen the spectre once (unless you count views from airplanes, where I see something similar from time to time).

DB_Cooper - so did you stash the money over there near the spectre?  ;)

Reply to this TR

10-05-07-more-muir
bcskibdy
2007-10-08 22:41:36