Home > Trip Reports > October 6, 2007, Ruth Mtn. and Video

October 6, 2007, Ruth Mtn. and Video

10/6/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by savegondor on 10/7/07 4:07am
first ski of the season... found about 3-5 feet at 5700' on Mt. Ruth...had to turn around b/c breaking trail in that stuff was very hard...and it was whiteout so i had no idea what was above me...esp since this was my first time in the area.

check my video out if you like at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9snFRO8rSM
Nice dude! Did you see any slides? How's the bonding/first base of the year look?

you need a cameraman! looks like you had to work pretty hard to get that one powder sequence. people are good about not letting a fellow tay'er go out alone, so try and hit up the boards for partners wanted. Shoot, if I were in town I would've been up there with you. thanks  for the great video, it really speaks more than a photo.  See ya out there!

author=cjm720 link=topic=7902.msg31584#msg31584 date=1191855875]
Nice dude! Did you see any slides? How's the bonding/first base of the year look?

good bond, as good as you can wish for on the first 4 feet...except obviously on steep rock slab.  a few wet snow slides...and rollies half the size of a man that i set off. 

of course it all hinges on what the weather does...but so far layers are bonded...mostly b/c there's only one very deep, wet, warm layer....at least up to 6000.  i don't know what the snow's like on glacier b/c i didn't make it that far.

author=skierlyles link=topic=7902.msg31595#msg31595 date=1191869804]
you need a cameraman! looks like you had to work pretty hard to get that one powder sequence. people are good about not letting a fellow tay'er go out alone, so try and hit up the boards for partners wanted. Shoot, if I were in town I would've been up there with you. thanks  for the great video, it really speaks more than a photo.  See ya out there!

look forward to it....plus i don't want to die...so pooling with people on this site is a good idea!  thanks!  just getting to know the community.  my best backcountry buddie got a girl-friend, dread the thought, so he's not as available to trek out there... hence why i hope to find others on this site. 

btw, getting that shot and bragging rights was worth the effort.  i'm not as hard-core as others on this site...but most of my city friends hate snow...so they think i'm super awesome!!!

author=savegondor link=topic=7902.msg31558#msg31558 date=1191784052]
first ski of the season... found about 3-5 feet at 5700' on Mt. Ruth...had to turn around b/c breaking trail in that stuff was very hard...and it was whiteout so i had no idea what was above me...esp since this was my first time in the area.

check my video out if you like at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9snFRO8rSM

Nice video!  Aren't you glad I steered you towards Ruth and saved you from another lap to muir. If you need a ski partner I am always off on sun and monday.

someone told me the baker ruth is "Ruth Mountain" whereas the mountain with said name in MRNP is "Mount Ruth".  To me this seems backwards but...was this person correct?

Reply to this TR

october-6-2007-ruth-mtn-and-video
savegondor
2007-10-07 11:07:32