Home > Trip Reports > Oct 6, 2007. Muir Snowfield- Purple and White Luv

Oct 6, 2007. Muir Snowfield- Purple and White Luv

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by korup on 10/7/07 3:44am
After obsessively checking snow conditions, snow cams, telemetry and TRs like everyone else, I dug out the warm and woolie gear and headed for Paradise, getting though the gate at 10am, and was greeted with a "Approved traction tires recommended" sign, whoohooo! The rain solidified around 3800 ft, and then was significant accumulation on the roadway for the last few miles. I expected there to be a huge TAY conference going on, but was suprised to see only a few cars in the lots. I strapped my skis on, and headed up into the mist, assuming there was simply no way that the paved trail could have enough coverage to bust out the skins.... how wrong I was! 100 yards up the trail, the sweet, sweet purple passes came out for the first time this season. Skinning up was sublime- with even a nice track to follow. The snow was fairly dry, with only occasional rocks and shrubs poking out. After awhile, I ran into a posse of Mt Baker folks, and we had a great skin up (thanks for the snacks!). Around 8000 ft, the murk lifted enough to give some views up to Anvil Rock. Due to social obligations, I was forced to turn tail at this point- the first 1000 ft of skiing was amazing- fresh and delcious, great turns for so early!  The remainer however, was thick mashed potatoes in the drizzle while dodging rocks on tired legs. But seriously, skinning from the lot, and skiing back to car, in early October? No complaints, no complaints at all.
Korup, was the Baker crew you met a threesome?  I started about the same time as you, and also turned around at ~8000'+, the group I met walked up the trail to Pan Point, then put on skis.  I figured the dozen or so skiers and boarders I saw had to be going for turns all year.....

Hi Silas

Sorry I missed you- the Baker crew was a foursome (three guys and a woman); there were lots of folks around though!
cheers
Drew

I was one of the two boarders up there that day. We got above the weather right below muir and enjoyed being able to see for one hour. I thought I saw a baker crew jacket up there!! This is month 13 for me on my 1st tay...so you were right silas!!

It appears that number of people have either completed their first year of turns or are close to making the cycle. It will be nice to get some fresh blood on the year-round skier page.

Reply to this TR

oct-6-2007-muir-snowfield-purple-and-white-luv
korup
2007-10-07 10:44:31