Home > Trip Reports > June 4-5, 2002, Windy Pass, Snoqualmie Pass

June 4-5, 2002, Windy Pass, Snoqualmie Pass

6/4/02
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charles on 9/10/02 9:14am
Time for my annual ski camping trip with my daughter, it seemed like there should be enough snow at Windy Pass to do some XC skiing. Found the Cold Creek Road blocked unexpectedly low (just past crossing of Mill Creek), about 3 miles short of Windy Pass. Recited the bad weather forecast and my bare road prediction, but Alyssa was determined to get to Windy Pass. About 2 of the 3 miles to Windy Pass were skiable (some was strips of snow connected by all-terrain skiing), with a long walk in the switchback section. Set up camp in the trees right at foggy Windy Pass, had a good evening ski over to Olallie Meadow and connecting trails. The formerly groomed trails were in good shape for XC skiing, but everything else was horribly runneled - the worst I have ever seen in that area. Great coverage up into Silver Peak bowl, but the turning looked to be bad due to the runnels. It rained quite a bit during the night, but stopped before we got up, and then sunbreaks appeared and enlarged during the day. The Snoqualmie scum (pollen?) was out in force, forcing a base cleaning session to restore glide to the skis - does anyone know how to prevent that stuff from building up on ski bases?

Charles

Reply to this TR

june-4-5-2002-windy-pass-snoqualmie-pass
Charles
2002-09-10 16:14:19