Home > Trip Reports > Muir 10-05-07

Muir 10-05-07

10/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cochise on 10/5/07 1:51pm
Headed up to Muir today for fun in the sun. Skinned from the parking lot. Clear sky and no wind to speak of. The snow was quite nice and made the trip to Muir worth the effort. The ski from Pebble was still a little thin....Ouch! You could pick your way through and made it to the lot. I think the TAYers had all the turns on the mountain today. Good to put some faces to the names. Let the freshies begin!!!!
Nice day indeed!  Scott K and I didn't leave the parking lot until 1:30 and arrived at Muir at 5:00.  We too skinned from the parking lot all the way up to the huts.  Temps had dropped by that time of the day, and while the upper 1500 feet or so was nice powder, we encountered crust down to Pan Pt.  We skied down Pan Pt all the way to the parking lot.  Back in business!

We reached Muir at 3:00 and it was so so good all the way down to about 7k, when it wasn't the snow but the visibility that made the rest of the decent difficult. The fact that we were able to ski all the way to the car blows my mind. Bluebird and (consolidated) powder in early October is amazing. I only wish I hadn't forgotten my sunscreen. 

Reply to this TR

muir-10-05-07
cochise
2007-10-05 20:51:28