Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2003, Chinook Pass MRNP

May 31, 2003, Chinook Pass MRNP

5/31/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/1/03 7:10am
Dorothea ,Rollo,Gary,Dave and myself had a decent tour up at Chinook pass. Weather was foggy till we hit the false summit of Naches and then clearing started and continued.Skied a run down into little Tipsoo snd then 2 runs down to the first hairpin.Backbowl was still foggy and cornices still looming. South slopes were best and firmer.We Still need some cold clear nights to corn north slopes and stop those slush slides. We gauged snow with probe on top at 6.5 ' average.Peak to the east of NAches will be good for quite a while yet.Very few skiers encountered.
I'm thinking of heading up Sat (6/7) with my 10yr old for some tele skiing.  Z will climb if there's snow, but he's not much for climbing to get to snow.  Any advice on how far we'd have to hike in to get to skiing?

Hard to say, Greg.
Could be 15, could be 20 feet.  All depends on where you park  ;D

Actually the NE facing side of Naches Peak has some nice slopes that your boy should have a ball on; runs right along the road, just east of the summit.

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like we'll be there Saturday.

Greg

Ron - you crack me up man

cheers
ivo

Also good for beginners is the southwest shoulder of Naches that curls around little Tipsoo lake.Its possible to boot up that and either ski down to Little Tipsoo or from that Saddle ski down the shoulder heading west.Its very possible with some zigs an zags to ski back down to lower road access. Be careful with rock bands.If it gets as hot as expected stay away West face above Little Tipsoo lake

Reply to this TR

may-31-2003-chinook-pass-mrnp
Robie
2003-06-01 14:10:59