Home > Trip Reports > Sep30, 2007, Mt. Hood, and a recap of my w/e

Sep30, 2007, Mt. Hood, and a recap of my w/e

9/30/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Volcanogrrl on 9/30/07 11:45pm
Saturday morning i packed up and headed to the White Salmon for a long day on the river.  I was meeting up with about 30 women for the annual "PDX Girl Paddle".  It ain't no tea party...
We ran the Middle White Salmon and the Lower White.  Just about everyone ran Husum Falls.  I was in a paddle raft and we opted to portage "Gruesome" Husum -- it was very bony.  The Middle White Salmon refers to the Middle section from BZ Corner to Husum Falls.  It's a Class 3, with pretty continuous rapids.  Lots of fun.   
We had beautiful weather -- sunny, warm.  The river canyon was dripping with fern and vines, and the tree leaves are starting to turn color.  The Middle White was busy but not pushy.  It was tough in a raft.  We then ran the Lower Section, which is much milder -- a Class 2 starting at Husum Falls and taking out at Northwestern Lake.
We all then headed to Hood River for dinner.  Lots of prizes and stuff.  I guess this could be considered the 'tea party' of the girly-get-together.  Some of us went to the River City Saloon to shake our (exhausted) cakes to the awesome talent of Tony Furtado.  Holy smokes, what a great time! 
Sunday (this is the part of the TR where I talk about skiing) I headed up to Timberline to meet a friend and go skiing.  This was one of those encounters where you have never met but are members of the same online community (the OTHER forum...).  "Corn Dog" is new to the area but has heaps of experience, so he picked the route up.  It was WET.  Oh my god it was wet.  I was thinking of skiing in my dry-suit.  (It's a solid Gore-tex onesie, if you aren't familiar with dry-suits.)   But, we just slogged up through the mush until it just wasn't worth it anymore.  I have no clue how far we went.  Well past the big shack on the lift-line.  Visibility was crap, it was raining, etc. etc. 
So, then we just hacked our way down (actually, Corn Dog skied it, I hacked it) amongst the rocks and got quite a way down before taking our skis off.  We headed in to Timberline and had one of their giant mugs (vats, actually) of hot chocolate and lounged on those cushy sofas upstairs.  It was probably one of the coolest weekends I've had since the "Goat Rocks Death March".  :) 
Thought about coming home and going for a quick mtb ride just to make it a "tri-sport" weekend, but i was tired.  Besides, dancing to Tony Furtado is definitely an athletic endeavor!!
So, anyway, i always think of it as a bonus to meet a stranger and ski with them and learn that they're actually quite a cool person.  No clue why I keep thinking it's a fluke, because my experiences have always been so cool -- there was Camilo that Jamie and I met on Hood, everyone I've met from here, coupla boaters I've met through online forums... 
Turns for September, done.  :)  No pics -- it was just soooooooooooo wet out i didnt' even bother.
sounds like a great weekend! sorry to hear you got rained on, on hood. How deep was the fresh snow at your highpoint?

Well it sorta drifted in a lot of places as we got higher, but maybe it was a foot deep?  It was hard to tell. 
The rain really wasn't so bad.  Beats a day on the couch!

author=Volcanogrrl link=topic=7858.msg31406#msg31406 date=1191272247]
Well it sorta drifted in a lot of places as we got higher, but maybe it was a foot deep?  It was hard to tell. 
The rain really wasn't so bad.  Beats a day on the couch!

Yeah, but does it beat a day on the couch eating ice cream?  ;D

Looks like I may have just missed you guys but I did see your tracks. I agree, it was wet Sunday. I left T-line around 1ish and went about halfway up the Palmer snowfield above the Silcox hut. The snow quality did get a tiny bit better up high but not by much. I was able to connect snow patches to within a couple minute walk to the T-Line lodge.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=7858.msg31415#msg31415 date=1191290177]
Yeah, but does it beat a day on the couch eating ice cream?  ;D

I think I'll investigate that...  Watch for TR to follow...

author=OldHouseMan link=topic=7858.msg31416#msg31416 date=1191291870]
Looks like I may have just missed you guys but I did see your tracks. I agree, it was wet Sunday. I left T-line around 1ish and went about halfway up the Palmer snowfield above the Silcox hut. The snow quality did get a tiny bit better up high but not by much. I was able to connect snow patches to within a couple minute walk to the T-Line lodge.

Yes, i bet we were coming down as you were going up.  After hot cocoa and everything, we left around 3:00. 
We did return down that gulley, but had to keep skiing out of it, then back down into it as it was choked in places with rock. 
Saw another group of guys before us.  They were expecting the lifts to be running.  They hiked up a bit but didn't have the gear for it.  Saw them later in the lodge and told them that if they'd just gone a coupla hundred feet further they'da had thigh-deep pow!  ;) 

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest :-)  It has a reputation for rain for a reason.  I ski 3 to 5 days a week on my weeks off (every other week) and it seems at least one if not a bunch of those days are spent skiing in a cloud.  And I have discovered that not only does rain fall out of clouds, it falls within the cloud also.  On the good note your snow was new snow and starting to cover up the dirty ice of last month. 
We just saw Tony Furtado here in Seattle and I used to go see him in Colorado all the time.  It is amazing how he can make one guitar sound like multiple people playing. 
On to October turns!

Yeah!  I'm not exactly new to the PNW but its been a while.  Good to be back, meeting new folks, and getting on a volcano again.  Looks like I'll have to start hanging around here some  ;)

Reply to this TR

sep30-2007-mt-hood-and-a-recap-of-my-w-e
Volcanogrrl
2007-10-01 06:45:21