Home > Trip Reports > Powder, Sun, Carnage on Rainier

Powder, Sun, Carnage on Rainier

9/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 9/30/07 1:49pm
Is it really that time again?  Time to switch gears.  Time to can the corn and start harvesting much covitted powder.  I met up with Kyle, Scott and his brother Brian at 5am and after a pit stop we were on our way.  As we pulled up into the Mowich Lake parking lot we were greeted to an inch of powder at 4900 ft.  One could only wonder what was it like higher up.

With each breath the crisp winter air filtered through my iron lungs.  The ground and surrounding canopy dominated by a fresh coat of white.  The sounds of each breath and snow crunching under foot echoed throughout.  I was in my place.

As we gained elevation the accumilation thickened.  Upon arriving at Spray Park, around 5800 ft., there was 4-6 inches of new snow.  Quite a contrast from 2 weekends ago.  I looked at Kyle and commented, why are we hiking?  We should be skinning!

Waiting on the other side of that Sundog is our pot of powder.  Spary Park, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 29th, 2007

The snow got deeper the higher we hiked.  Just deep enough to hide all the boobie traps.  The uneven terrain made even by snow and wind took all of us by suprise along the way.  I got bushed a few times.  Hmmm...solid ground shouldn't feel like I'm walking on a trampoline.  One step I was boot deep the next thigh deep.  We weren't even at the fun part yet.  Eventually bushes gave way to rocks.  Just enough coverage to leave the tips.  At this point I didn't regret not being able to skin.  The pow was so light that you couldn't even make a snowball.  Every rock was felt beneath each step.  From step to step was a different story.  They like to rock and roll.  Well nothing good worth having comes easy...

Once we arrived at the Soul Patch we dropped our packs and the harvest was on.  Nothing like the feeling of powder on a smooth base.  Curious to see how conditions were like up higher, I yelled hurry up Stugie and Kyle.  Plus my fingers froze as soon as I took my gloves off.

Scott aka Stugie on the Soul Patch.  Flett Remnants - Sept. 29th, 2007

Kyle doing his best skier impression and really milking it.  Flett Remnants - Sept. 29th, 2007

After a little teaser on the Soul Patch we moved to steeper terrain that was not that steep.  While chatting I learned that Brian moved from Minnesota and never tried skiing or boarding.  Scott offered his ski but Brian declined saying he would rather try snowboarding. ;D

Kyle and Scott go for it.  Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 29th, 2007

Kyle is that speck with the rooster tail.  Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 29th, 2007

After a lap to figure out the where the sweets spots were it was really on!

Snoslut and Kyle tag teaming.  Photo taken by Stugie.  Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 29th, 2007

Snoslut and Kyle.  Photo taken by Stugie.  Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 29th, 2007

Well unfortunately our time had run out.  Eventually clouds from the southwest started to blow in.  That didn't stop Kyle.  He was determined to track the place out, by himself if he had to.  Must be the mutant vision.  By 2pm our party was discovered and surrounded.  Actually engulfed or consumed was a better word.  Nowhere to go but down.  We were fortunate enough to have the cold smoke and the sun.  A combo that doesn't happen all to often around here.  Plus the winds gave us free refills as our boot and down tracks filled in.  The winds really picked up while climbing down.  By the time we reached the trail proper in Spray Park it started to snow lightly.  Back in the forest the warming temps started releasing snow from the trees.  I got doused a few times.  Back at the parking lot it was still snowing lightly but very wet.

On the road out we came across this...

An over zealous driver that was obviously going a bit too fast.

A close up reveals quite a bit of damage.  The TNT reported that the 2 passengers were taken to the hospital.  I hope they are okay.

Quote of the trip...
Kyle: The new Linken Park sucks.  The cd is only 30 minutes long.
Snoslut: Yeah but songs have a weird way of growing on ya.
Brian: Just like gential warts.
Oh king of the tr, that was awesome!  Nice write up!  Talk about the greatest skiing I think one could encounter in Sept. for sure!  Good times, good friends.  Like you stated, after this, it's time to switch gears.  Can't wait to head out again!  Nice pic selects too...I like the one of Brian and Kyle and the blankets of white pow!

So does the "Carnage" in your title refer to clearcuts seen in the last photos?

Great TR!  Looks like fun.  Idda tried to join you but had fun at Hood. 
So, i'm pretty new to this whole "turns all year" business, but aren't those pretty awesome conditions for september?  Or is august the tough month to get in?

JibberD - Yes the carnage refers to the clear cut pics.

Volcanogrrl - Now a days anytime you can slide on powder before November is a treat.  Typically Aug. thru Oct. can be considered the make or break for streaks.  However if you willing to go the distance there are no tough months.

Stugie - The pics I took of you on the first lap on the Flett was out of focus.  UGGG!  Otherwise I would have used them.  They turned out killer if you looked at them through a coke bottle though.

Hopefully this year, none of the months will be hard to get in!  A foot of new pow on Rainier the end of September though is definitely not regular, although, it does happen.  And like snoslut said, if you're willing to hike, none of the months are really too difficult to get your turns down.

I'm still feeling like I dreamt up Saturday.  Snoslut, thanks for the fun time hanging out Sat. night.  We gotta jam out some more...that was HELLA fun!

Excellent TR and thanks for the stoke (as if I needed to think about skiing more).
Hopefully I catch up with you guys on a tour one of these days.  I love powder, sun and carnage!

Nice pics. Nothing like what I experienced on Sunday.

how many hours to the top?

Top as in where we were, or top as in Liberty Cap (then of course on to Columbia Crest)?

Reply to this TR

powder-sun-carnage-on-rainier
snoslut
2007-09-30 20:49:58