Home > Trip Reports > First turns of the new season at Mt. Rainier

First turns of the new season at Mt. Rainier

9/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by mnteleskier on 9/29/07 2:28pm
Made my first tracks for the 2007-2008 season today at Mt. Rainier! From Paradise, hiked up Skyline Trail to Pebble Creek. The slope from there to the rocky ridge bordering the bottom of the Muir Snowfield had about 5-6 in. new snow. Great powder skiing for September. A few bumps and icy spots but no rocks. Visibility was poor but not scary. Pretty constant wind with snow all day.
I started out on my own but then tagged along with a group of four students from University of Puget Sound.
This evening it's raining in Ashford, where I'm staying overnite, so I suspect it's snowing above for more freshies for tomorrow.
Great news.  ;D  5-6 inches of new sounds great and it looks like just the beginning for this system.  Way to get some freshies in September and I hope that I will not be far behind.

Muir this week or next weekend anyone...?

I'm planning to go back up to Pebble Creek today and, if conditions are good, would consider going tomorrow (Monday).
Anyone available Monday? (October 1!)

Tony M and Andy Martin lapped the same patch for a minimal 1,000 vert - just enough to keep our respective streaks alive!
Hopefully this is the harbinger of a solid La Nina winter.

looks like my buddy is drivin up from portland to hit up muir on sat morning, anyone still lookin to go?

Reply to this TR

first-turns-of-the-new-season-at-mt-rainier
mnteleskier
2007-09-29 21:28:44