Home > Trip Reports > Recap of 2007, Summer...

Recap of 2007, Summer...

9/15/07
Posted by snoslut on 9/25/07 1:30pm

Alpenglow on Mt. Rainier along Dalles Ridge - Aug. 5th, 2007

This was my first hike with Kyle and Dan since my injury sidelined me.  I can barely recall the last time I went on a hike without a board.  I was uncertain about how my leg would be after 10 miles but afterwards the bottom of my feet was the only thing I was uncertain about.

The beauty of uncertainty is that it motivates us to seek certainty.  We are compelled to replace doubt with conviction, to replace confusion with clarity, to be more fearful of old ideas instead of new ones.  Nothing is more disparaged than the person who is lost, hesitant and anxious.  Yet the true path to fulfillment come from these conditions.  Uncertainty becomes truly beautiful when connected with the certainty that there is a better life beyond the life that is known.  The artist, scientist, entrepreneur, athlete and traveller: all embrace uncertainty as their muse.  What is going to happen next is more enticing than what is happening now.  The thrill of anticipation, the mystery of the unknown, the open road, mistakes as portals of discovery, the inevitability of change, purpose from choas, questions leading to answers, failure as the threshold of knowledge.  All of these conditions inform the life of the adventurer, the human being who is engaged in becoming.  The beauty of uncertainty is that it prepares us to embrace life in the face of death.  Allows us the strength to deal with the freedom to choose.  To willingly exchange the fear of uncertainty for the security of certainty is to admit defeat.  To surrender to the fear of actually living your life.  Nothing moves forward except by the craving to seek certainty from uncertainty.
Brian Hendricks

Sunrise from Dalles Ridge - Aug. 5th, 2007

I met Kyle at his pad and soon after we picked up Dan at the bus station.  By 9pm we were shooting the shit and talk of getting some sleep was brought up, especially if the we wanted to catch the sunrise.  9 quickly became midnight.  Next time I looked it was 2am and time to depart.

Son of Jor-El, Kneel before Zod.  Dalles Ridge - Aug. 5th, 2007

Kyle and Dan atop an unnamed point.  Dalles Ridge - Aug. 5th, 2007

While marinating in the sun and stretching my knee, Kyle and Dan find this scramble.  Just on the otherside, some killer descents for this winter they exclaimed upon their return.

Can't use those leaves.  Dalles Ridge - Aug. 5th, 2007

I forgot my mountain money so while searching for the plant with the largest leaves I found these buggers.  Glad I looked first before grabbing.  The moss, though a bit rough sufficed.

Pink...it's a good color.  Crystal Mountain - Aug. 12th, 2007

Once I got the knod from the physical therapist it was time to start gaining some elevation.  Why not hike the gravel road to the Summit House.  Why are my pt's so hot?  Makes we want to change my occupation to full time patient.  After reaching the top and relaxing a bit I was surprised by people walking off the roof.  They had drove up to the top the evening before to try and catch the meteor showers.  They did catch some rain showers.  I broke the news to them that they had missed the best time for the meteor showers.  Should have been here yesterday mate.

Up until this point I was not allowed to snowboard.  But I am what I am and I do what I do.  For the months of June, July and August I ended up sneaking down to Timberline on Mt. Hood to keep the turns all year streak alive.  In early September I got the go ahead to start doing my normal activities.  For the weekends of the 1st and 8th, I found myself at Paradise on Mt. Rainier's south side scrapping turns on a 100ft patch a stones throw from the car.  After 2 weeks of this I was ready for more.

The big R casts it's shadow amongst the clouds.  Mt. Rainier - Sept. 15, 2007

On this trip I joined up with again with Kyle and his friend Scott.  These alpine starts are sure fun.  Especially with a dim lamp and the mist from hell that obscured your vision.  I don't recall that many roots trying to trip me on the way to Spary Park.  Why just a few hours earlier I was thinking about taking them through Knapsack Pass.  That would have been knappy.

Mt. Rainier with Liberty - Sept. 15th, 2007

Glacier remnants can be so fun to play around.  Kyle, Scott and myself found this crack that slanted into the snow.  Taking a big rock and listening how far it went seemed like a good idea.  The rock was heard for at least 30 seconds as it careened off the icy terrain below.  Wish I had some rope cause the pics from the inside looking out as Kyle or Scott   gap the crack would have been worth it.  Next time.

Kyle and Scott rush uphill eager to carve some ice.  Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 15th, 2007

I've seen it worse than this.  Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 15th, 2007

Kyle, glacier walker on Mars.  Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier - Sept. 15th, 2007

The summer has finally come to an end.  <antijinx>Now it's time for winter.</antijinx>  Please oh please Mother Nature, bring it on and let us have it!
Nice collection of pictures and adventures.  Glad to hear healing process didn't dampen your spirit.

Outstanding photos - good work!

Good stuff.

It was a great summer!

Nice bro!...it has been a good summer indeed!

Nice work, Eric.
Keep it up.

Reply to this TR

recap-of-2007-summer
snoslut
2007-09-25 20:30:52