Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2003, Diamond Peak

June 5, 2003, Diamond Peak

6/5/03
Posted by ema on 6/9/03 8:37am
This is a nice, interesting peak. Many bowls and ridges spidering out in all aspects, every one skiable. Started out at 5:45 in anticipation of a HOT day. 90F in Oakrige the night before....Trail to Corrigan Lk. is snowfree until Corrigan Lk. (5500'), then solid snow. Made good time, and gained the SW ridge at treeline. Continued on firm snow with rising winds. Once up at the broad saddle, winds became a sustained 30mph Easterly, and frequently gusted higher. So much for Sweating! A very comforting, drying, element as we finished off the climb in crampons on firm snow....Summit views included a clear N to the Sisters Group, and S to Thielson, Bailey, Crater Lk area, and McGloughlin. No one else to be seen, but Sylvie and I...Found shelter in some mini cave-like rocks after descending 50v.f. to the False Summit...Threw a few rocks to check for softening snow on the SW Face. Looked good after lunch, so skied perfect corn all the way. A short traverse to the ridge set us up for more turns among glades and alleys through the trees. Skied to Scout Cr. and followed it to the intersection with Corrigan Lk. Trail. Mosquitoes were awake now and kept us swatting as we walked at an "incredible rate."......From the summit, I gained wisdom from a birds eye view, of a more direct approach/exit from the FS Road branch in Pioneer Gulch. Also saw my third bear this season, a big black one this time, lumbering off at an "incredible rate, Harry."

Reply to this TR

june-5-2003-diamond-peak
ema
2003-06-09 15:37:21