Home > Forum > Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne

Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Sep 2007 15:21 #178780 by Zap
Just noticed the new expansion of Boyne Resorts .
www.boyneusaresorts.com/pressreleases/Re...ToCoastExpansio.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2007 15:38 #178781 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
:(

• Teleskichica
  • [Teleskichica]
More
19 Sep 2007 15:46 #178782 by Teleskichica
Replied by Teleskichica on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
Ahh-this makes sense. It ties in with the phantom offer I saw on the Snoqualmie sight for 5 free tickets at Crystal.

More
19 Sep 2007 17:56 #178783 by Merk
Replied by Merk on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
So how much longer till they plop down a six-pack chair to the top of Alpental? Actually, knowing Boyne, it'll probably be a 100 person tram. >:(

More
19 Sep 2007 18:27 #178784 by korup
Replied by korup on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
I wondered what was up with the very late announcement of season pass rates.
Ughhh. This cannot be good.
If you haven't done it yet, it might be a perfect time to read "Downhill Silde: Why the Corporate Ski Industry Is Bad for Skiing, Ski Towns, and the Environment" (Hal Clifford)

:(

More
20 Sep 2007 12:43 #178795 by Chrisp
Replied by Chrisp on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
Yup, now the Summit has made it official

Summit

There has been talk for years about droping a chair on Mt Catherine . I wonder if that is what got them interested? Look what they did with Northway at Crystal.

More
20 Sep 2007 12:46 #178796 by Chrisp
Replied by Chrisp on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
Whoops wrong link.

Boyne

More
20 Sep 2007 15:02 #178802 by JimmyO
Replied by JimmyO on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
Maybe this explains why the Summit season pass rates are a) so high and b) are so restricted.

full pass 339 - only through September, then even higher!
289 weekday
209 night only.

last year 189 for weekday. that's a big increase.

The Seattle Times article today said that crystal and summit season pass holders would have some form of reciprocity benefits at the other resort, but that because summit pass prices are so much lower there might be a surcharge to buy into this benefit.

The money gougers are here...

Jimmy O

More
20 Sep 2007 16:59 #178807 by Jerm
Replied by Jerm on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
I could live with the Margaret expansion idea, but even with Boyne, I doubt it would happen because it expands the permit area. Unfortunately I think they'll be pushing all the Alpental expansion buttons that they can, and jacking up prices in quick succession.

The economics of a BC access sled are getting more and more favorable.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
21 Sep 2007 07:59 #178818 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
When I first heard the news my initial reaction was negative like I see from most of the posts here, but I thought it over some and decided that there might end up being some good things about it.

Assuming the Alp continues to stay closed on Mondays (although if they did open Mondays that might not be so bad either) it might be nice to get a discount at Crystal if it's one of those days where Alpental is closed but the heavens open and a booming voice from above commands you to lap some freshies.

It might sound crazy, but higher prices might not be so bad if it led to fewer passes sold and therefore more fresh.  There are of course so many factors that lead to each of our individual slices of the great powder pie that it is hard to say whether this would really be true or not, but I do ultimately believe in the law of supply and demand.  Higher prices should at least in theory lead to less demand which means more supply - of the soft deep.  Let me clarify myself by saying that I am not FOR higher ticket & pass prices, just that if it happens it may at least bring some benefits with it for those of you, like me, that will probably pay the cost no matter what.  It looks like the passes are up by about 13% or so.  I would GLADLY pay an extra 13% if I knew it would bring me 13% more fresh throughout the year, even if the amount of fresh I would have gotten anyways was already a life-altering amount.

More
22 Sep 2007 15:15 #178757 by khyak
Replied by khyak on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
Man, I wish they would raise prices! Anyone who has skied Alpental on one of the prime weekends realizes that there is too much demand! I would like to see much more expensive lift tickets, so my powder would last longer! Unfortunately the reason season passes are priced so cheap (still) is that they sell a buttload of them! What is it about Boyne that nobody likes? I think everybody should be happy to get rid of Booth Creek. They made lots of money up here, and spent it all down at Northstar. I know the current staff is looking forward to parting ways with the Booth Creek style of management. For all you wool munching skiers, that are complaining about prices, maybe you should get a grip on the real world. You know, inflation, cost of a round of golf, or the price for a pair of new Scarpa boots.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Sep 2007 06:50 #178827 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne

Maybe this explains why the Summit season pass rates are a) so high and b) are so restricted.

full pass 339 - only through September, then even higher!
289 weekday
209 night only.

last year 189 for weekday. that's a big increase.

There is no mid-week pass this year. The $289 pass mentioned is for unlimited (they call the LTD) except Alpental on Sat-Sunday. $339 for the true unlimited all 4 areas all days.

Still, even with the price increase their pass deals are the best in WA.

• oftpiste
  • [oftpiste]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Sep 2007 10:18 #178828 by oftpiste
Replied by oftpiste on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
The newspaper articles on the sale quoted a Boyne spokesperson as saying we should be looking for 'benefits' in pass pricing including a multi-area deal of some kind, and it even sounded like it might be happening soon.

Wonder if I should buy the LTD pass or wait? Already have a Xtal unlmtd.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
23 Sep 2007 12:04 #178829 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne

Man, I wish they would raise prices!  Anyone who has skied Alpental on one of the prime weekends realizes that there is too much demand!  I would like to see much more expensive lift tickets, so my powder would last longer!  Unfortunately the reason season passes are priced so cheap (still) is that they sell a buttload of them!  What is it about Boyne that nobody likes?  I think everybody should be happy to get rid of Booth Creek.  They made lots of money up here, and spent it all down at Northstar.  I know the current staff is looking forward to parting ways with the Booth Creek style of management.   For all you wool munching skiers, that are complaining about prices, maybe you should get a grip on the real world.  You know, inflation, cost of a round of golf, or the price for a pair of new Scarpa boots.

Raising prices won't decrease weekend traffic at Alpental during the middle of the season. They are already turning people away. I don't see the weekends changing much with the ski schools and others skiing there.
The backside of Hyak would be good to leave alone. It an easy way to get away from the madness the Alpental BC has become. Up the chair, a short skin to Mt Catherine. It wouldn't be be hard to market the area as a lift/ski tour area without going in and tearing the area up. I think there would be some opposition to mucking up Mt Catherine, its a cool area to hike around in the summer too. It would be sorta sad to see it become another litter infested area after the snow melts. Alpental will see some changes, some won't like it, but it will change.

More
02 Jan 2008 18:14 #180112 by ~Link~
Replied by ~Link~ on topic Re: Snowqualmie Summit managed by Boyne
BOYNE= Corporatism at the mountain! The mountain will never be the same... :-[

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Jan 2008 20:21 - 03 Jan 2008 09:16 #180115 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Snoqualmie Summit managed by Boyne

BOYNE= Corporatism at the mountain! The mountain will never be the same... :-[

Same as what? The mountain changed when Ski Lifts Inc took over from the Seattle Parks dept. It changed when Ski Acres was taken over by Ski Lifts, Inc, or when Alpental was purchased by Westtour, then Ski lifts Inc, and it changed when everything was sold to Booth....ect... It is always changing.