Home > Trip Reports > September 14 - Looking for the stash

September 14 - Looking for the stash

9/15/07
Posted by Don Heath on 9/18/07 2:43pm
Last Thursday, in an effort to stretch summer,  my bro-in-law and I pulled two of our kids out of school and headed for Paradise.  I had it in my head that I could stumble onto the stash without a guide.  All I found, though was Muir.  Again.  Oh well, we had fabulous weather above a sea of marine flow, had a great campout, earned my September turns - 11 months now!  And the kids got to go sledding in the summer.

Next month - the stash, or bust.  ;D
Way to hang in there, Rusty.
That kind of perseverance is what the Stashworthiness Protocol is all about.  Keep it up and you'll either stumble across the Stash, or a Stash user will take you there due to your obvious Stashworthiness. 
;)

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=7796.msg31162#msg31162 date=1190180620]
I had it in my head that I could stumble onto the stash without a guide.  All I found, though was Muir.  Again.
 Your geeeetttttting warmer  ;). 

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=7796.msg31162#msg31162 date=1190180620]........earned my September turns - 11 months now!  And the kids got to go sledding in the summer.

Good going on getting 11 months done, and letting the kids have some fun too.

Okay, according to Joedabaker the Stashworthiness protocol is that you need to take them there instead of telling them the location.
But how does one get to be Stash Worthy?
Can someone post the rules about Stashworthiness please. ::)

As Scotsmans stated stash worthiness can only be attained by...
...taking the candidate on a long pointless hike to a false stash that isn't very good and see if they keep a positive attitude...

So it was said...so it shall be written!

maryg I'll be going on a long pointless hike to a false stash again this weekend, that isn't very good so if your interested...pm me.

<thread jack>btw I have a story about a nice stunning cute gal (no disrepect to her) who said she knew how to snowboard but after all you can drink beers and pancakes she couldn't figure out why she kept falling.  Turns out she was riding her splitboard backwards and forgot she was goofy foot not regular.  Now I know alcohol can be excuses for some things but how can anybody that says they know how to snowboard forget if he or she is goofy or regular and not recognize the tip from the tail??  I even trimmed her skins too.  Geegollywiz</thread jack>

Mad Dog and Ron - Does it count if you lead yourself on a long pointless hike?  I actually think I saw the slope in one of Stewie's pictures, but opted to stay on the trail for a while longer.  Then, I think I saw the stash peeking over the top of a ridge looking at me, teasingly, but one the kids (I have to blame SOMEONE) was pretty much done with going uphill at that point.  Hope to meet somebody out there sometime.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=7796.msg31187#msg31187 date=1190247218]
Mad Dog and Ron - Does it count if you lead yourself on a long pointless hike? 

Seems like it should certainly be worthy of consideration, Rusty.  I'd have to check with the MadDog; if memory serves, I believe she is the official proctor of the actual Stashworthiness Book.

A point of interest, however... just to be fair and avoid confusion, and certainly meaning no disrespect to the young Scot seed, the stash that Stewie reported on recently is not really the Stash.  That is just a neat little spot we call the Paradise Patch; it is reasonably handy for nailing a few turns with the minimum of torture points paid for access.  We often refer to it as a stash which, I'm sure contributed to Stewart's confusion.  This time of year you might get 10 - 15 turns on it per climbing cycle.  Of course, as Scottie pointed out, Stashworthiness Protocol still applies to any such valuable piece of real estate, however in the case of the Paradise Patch, any RMI Guide could point it out to you if you asked him/her where the "2nd Cornice" was.

Not so, with the real Stash; it is not quite so handy.  And the slopes are much better. It has more like about 600 vf of skiing right now with some nice steep rolls on it and can have over a thousand ft of vertical drop on varied angle pitches earlier in the summer.  I don't believe Stewie's been to that one yet, but I could be wrong, his dad may have shared it with him.

At any rate, Rusty, we could certainly get a pilgrimage together to the real Stash, maybe for October turns, unless, of course we get skiable new snow before then.  That might postpone such a expedition until next summer  ;)

author=ron j link=topic=7796.msg31191#msg31191 date=1190252357]
Seems like it should certainly be worthy of consideration, Rusty.  I'd have to check with the MadDog; if memory serves, I believe she is the official proctor of the actual Stashworthiness Book.

Now THAT is funny, I don't have the rule book, I think Ron has it.

author=ron j link=topic=7796.msg31191#msg31191 date=1190252357]At any rate, Rusty, we could certainly get a pilgrimage together to the real Stash, maybe for October turns, unless, of course we get skiable new snow before then.  That might postpone such a expedition until next summer  ;)

The real stash does have some torture points involved, especially at this time of the year, and with the days getting shorter and the "geezers" plodding along like pouring molasses in January  ;), it might be best to make this one on a nice sunny day and have something to look forward to when the days are longer again, and those summer snow patches are a little harder to find. 

all this talk of "the stash " is causing some stirring in my loins. No not that the kind of stirring !  You know the other kind  that creates a bending of zee knees to zee snow.
Being a stasholder and knowing most of the above participants in this thread including Rusty knees. I declare all are worthy that follow the rules .
hopefully we won't need the stash anymore as october turns might be possible like this.

that pic has me salivating...

That's great! What year and what time in October?

october 10 year before, 2005 if my memory serves me.cooulda been last year though .

Hi Robie,
Good to hear from you.  That picture is inspiring! Let's do something together this year.  I'm up for anything, and almost any time. 

I am also salivating over the pics of October snowfall- let's hope that this year wil be better. See you all out there in a few weeks (snow level falling!)

Reply to this TR

september-14-looking-for-the-stash
Don Heath
2007-09-18 21:43:40