Home > Trip Reports > September 16, 2007, Toward Coleman Pinnacle

September 16, 2007, Toward Coleman Pinnacle

9/16/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by GregLange on 9/17/07 9:48am
Snow Bell and I headed from the Edmonds/Kingston ferry dock toward Artist's Point with all of the optimism that a "chance of showers" forecast brings. Driving into the cloud just below the end of Hwy. 542, we were still looking at the positivity of it all, as the showers had not yet begun. However, the vis. was about 50 feet in the parking lot, so we knew that staying close to the trail was a must.

By the time we reached the knoll on the north end of the ridge leading to Coleman Pinnacle, the rain began in earnest. How can rain actually fall when it's still inside of a cloud? We still couldn't see much beyond 50 feet, and as the showers were turning to full-on rain, we found a suitable patch to make a few turns. Keeping in mind that often a patch is all there is to ski (for freee) in September, we donned the boards and reveled in the 75' of vert. we were able to glean 3 times. Then, we found a bit more rise on the patch as we wandered throught the cloud, and got in 2 more runs of 100' vert each! Almost 500' has never quite been sooooo good and so bad at the same time!

After we were thoroughly drenched and returning toward the car by actually having to use the rock edges of the trail to keep our perspective, this patch was dubbed, "The Nicotine Patch". It was not quite the real deal in terms of calming the beast of addiction, but it did soothe the soul long enough to say we had indulged.

In the car, talk turned to the future, with hopes of falling snow levels and (hopefully) clear days for turns in October. This month marked the 1-year point for Snow Bell, and gave me month 119. If I can make it to next month, there will be cause celebre'!
What a difference a few days make. My son and I had great conditions out there last week. I may even go back for seconds this weekend. We were able to get 1000vf without lapping during the mid afternoon.

I am still not sure what to make of our ski trip.  I hope to have it sorted out by the time my gear dries out.  ;)
Perhaps "The Methadone Patch" may be a more apposite name as something akin to a nicotine compulsion may have abated upon seeing conditions at  the parking lot.  We must have been driven on by something less resistable with the expectation of something more satisfying.  I think that aside from the great companionship, the most satisfying part of the day was the realization that the next time I don my sticks it will be on fresh snow.  I think that we earned it.  Thanks for meeting up with me Greg and I hope that I can join you for your thenth year celebratory tour.

Indeed, we were driven by something. I recall an ex-wife who I kept chasing for many years after the divorce. I didn't really like her anymore, but there was a little something that she satisfied, even if only short-term. Next month, we will chase the white virgin instead...

Way to go!  I skied there last month, probably on the same dwindling "tongues".  Why no pictures of the cloud?  But, yes, the new stuff is coming soon.  CONGRATULATIONS on soon 10 years! 

Reply to this TR

september-16-2007-toward-coleman-pinnacle
GregLange
2007-09-17 16:48:41