Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2003, Sibley Pass/Hidden Lakes Peaks

June 7, 2003, Sibley Pass/Hidden Lakes Peaks

6/7/03
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by scotteryx on 6/9/03 12:07am
Drove up to TH, nice jaunt through the lower woods, until we broke out of the trees about 500 VF above the TH. Started to skin up the avy debris when I found out my skins had no adhesive on them. Used lots of duct tape and caught up to my wife and friend. It was supposed to be a nice hike with them for the day, and sicne my wife is 5 months pregnant, it was to be slow and relaxing.

I found myself skinning up with another skier "Vincent" and we talked about skiing and climbing in general and before I knew it we were almost to Sibley Pass and I had passed Alison a long time before.

So Vincent continued on up to Hidden Lakes Peak and Alison and I went to Sibley Pass and took in the incredible views. The ski down was some good corn, but my other hiker friend had slipped and fell and I had to surrender some turns to help him get down the slope safely  >:(

Before I knew it I was skiing some avy debris and then did a nice face plant into some hard debris. Ouch!  ;D

The hike out was nice, I really like the trail, one of the nicest I have been on, or maybe I'm still compaing everything to the approach trail for Glacier Peak? If you want my unbiased opinion of that trail:
http://nwog.org/reports/053103glacier.htm
Nice to meet you Scott. What a great day out there!  :) I couldn't believe the snow was only 30 mins from the car.

I went all the way to what I what I think is the true summit at ~7000ft. The lookout was one more peak over and seemed somewhat lower. I wonder if one can camp in that lookout?

The descent was just awesome on great corn snow. I got greedy and followed the fall line throught the trees and went a bit too low... I had to turn around hike back up 500 to make a few extra unplanned turns! :)

BTW, no worries dude, I also face planted in the Avy debris!

Vincent

Vincent,

You were on the true summit.  I was there last week and had a fine time.

Did you get a chance to sample the terrain just north and east of the summit/ridge?

Alan

The lookout is supposed to be a sweet place to spend the night. Stocked with water, food, beds, stove, and lantern I think. My friend Jerry Sanchez who posts on this board has stayed there before as I am sure many others. Were those freakin awesome views or what?

Send me your email so we can hook up some other time

Reply to this TR

june-7-2003-sibley-pass-hidden-lakes-peaks
scotteryx
2003-06-09 07:07:35