Home > Trip Reports > September 8, 2007, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier

September 8, 2007, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier

9/8/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mr_Burns on 9/9/07 2:23pm
Andrew, Mary, Lisa, and Jeff headed up Rainier Saturday to see what we could find.  With well over a hundred years experience in the group, we continue to find new ways to feel like rookies.  Today's lesson:  when you find good snow in late LATE season skiing, TAKE IT!  Do NOT go higher.  Do not go lower.  Do not head east, do not head west.   If you can see a few hundred vertical feet and it looks good, go for it!  Do laps!  Enjoy the sunsine!

At about  7600  ft. there was a dandy patch, but we were not to be deterred from our goal- CAMP MUIR.  So UP we went, not to miss the joy of huge suncups, ice with running water underneath, muddy sand, sandy rocks, mini rivers, etc.  It was, as our  beloved coach Gavin would say, "character building".

The best skiing on the mountain was from about 7600 to 8700ft, with two big patches connected by a tiny crossover that is surely gone by now.

We headed down from Paradise, stupid-tired, and pulled in to the Cougar Rock Campground to see the sweetest sight we'd seen in a long time:  Amy waiting with campfire going and a full spread of dinner waiting. 

It was a fantastic day, we have nearly completed our first "year", and we broke our months-long string of lousy weather!  Also, we have already agreed on a "turns" schedule for next summer!

May:  Mt. St. H
June:  Mt. A
July:  Interglacier or Panhandle
August/September:  (hopefully)  Las Lenas for 6 year reunion
October....       

We would love to have more company as (sadly) two of our original and most beloved members, Jeff and Amy, are moving back to Pennsylvania soon.  We send all of our best with them.

Check out our photos at :

http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/peligro/photos/browse/820f
Mr. Burns, two more pairs of skis were on that mountain behind you.  See September Laps and Recon TR . . . Sorry that we missed a chance to meet more TAYers.

I think it is a hard lesson to learn- settle for what you have or keep climbing?
I was thinking about another option- we could have stashed our ski gear at the skiable stashes, continued on up to Muir with a light pack and yummy lunch, then head down and throw in a few laps prior to final descent.
Just Monday morning quarterbacking.... anyhow, it was an awesome day and there is nothing better than dinner over the campfire at dusk(thanks AMY!)
Now, I see that Silas is in Argentina getting his September turns... the grass is always greener... when our group was in Las Lenas a few years ago, we were kicking ourselves, thinking how great it would be to be home, up at Camp Muir, skiing mud and rocks rather than the cold, dry pow up on Marte....NOT!
So here is the question- what is more satisfying...buying your turns with your hard earned money, every dollar earned while toiling away at a computer even when the snow is falling OR earning your turns the hard way- old fashioned blood, sweat, and tears?
In a perfect world- you get both. We will see what October brings ???

This is my first post, so I hope this works.

Spicoli and I planned on heading up to Muir on Saturday with less than a positive outlook on snow quality, but with the goal of getting my 11 month, and Spicoli's 12th! We opted for the smaller (400 feet or so) small field to skiers right of the main trail up to Muir.  There were a couple old lines, with much smaller sun cups that anticipated (and much nicer than Ptarmigan ridge up at Baker the previous week), so we decided to bail on Muir and cycle the field, which we dubbed "2nd Wind" because we wound up hiking it 6 times due tp the incredible soft and fast conditions. The pitch wasn't the steepest and the run wasn't the longest, but the turns were the best we've had since Flett at the end of July, and all and all outstanding.  Plus it was September! 

I bet you guys saw our tracks...I will try to post a picture later.

What a great place we live in! 

We DID see your tracks and admired them greatly!  We seriously wish we had just stayed on the portion of the mountain just to skiers left of where you were.  That was the only decent snow we encountered.  Your patch looked great!  Good going- maybe we'll meet up next time.

Reply to this TR

september-8-2007-camp-muir-mt-rainier
Mr_Burns
2007-09-09 21:23:44