Home > Trip Reports > June 5-6, 2003, Mt Rainier, Emmons Glacier

June 5-6, 2003, Mt Rainier, Emmons Glacier

6/5/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by russ on 6/8/03 10:35pm
Thursday and Friday of last week we were able to take advantage of the weather to climb/ski Mt. Rainier. It's been on my list for a long time - since I've lived in Seattle I've probably been asked a thousand times "Have you climbed Mt. Rainier?".  I went with Dave and Alberto; none of us had ski together before, but after several phones calls found we had similar views on safety, etc.

Getting into Camp Schurman was a long haul with full packs. We had to boot for 2-3 miles, then was able to skin up Glacier Basin and the Interglacier. The Camp Schurman climbing ranger was very friendly and advised us to wait until around 1 pm to start the ski down. We had been planning for 11 am, so we got to sleep in.  At 5:15 am we started boot cramponing - could have skin/ski cramponed the first part but would have had to change anyway as it got steeper. We did the first 3K in 3 hours, but slowed as altitude and some dehydration hit. The remaining 2K also took about 3 hrs.

There was about a 20 mph wind on top, but moving into the crater blocked the wind and made for wonderful basking in the sun. There were two parties on the summit that had come up Liberty Ridge and would be going down the Emmons. Also, 3 other skiers - Lowell, Carl and Bruce who were traversing from Ingraham to ski down the Tahoma.

We started skiing just before 1 pm. The summit slopes were wind scoured (sastrugi), but just soft enough so you could turn on the smooth sections. At about 13.5K we hit smooth corn snow slopes that continued all the way to Camp Schurman.  I'm sure you can all appreciate how envious the parties from Liberty Ridge were when we cruised past on skis.  We arrived at CS at 2 pm, took a couple hours to rest and pack. Started skiing out at 4. The Interglacier was a little heavy, but still good skiing. We were able to ski well into the woods after Glacier Basin and got back to the car just after 6 pm. Unlike 2 weeks ago on Glacier Peak, cold beers were waiting in the car!

Here's a few pictures: http://home.attbi.com/~rschwartz45/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

- Russ
Great job, Russ.
Great report, too.
You couldn't have picked better weather, eh?

Nice report and pictures, Russ. We've met before, haven't we? I remember thinking that you guys looked familiar on the summit, but with glacier glasses and parkas and such, and my slightly hypoxic brain, I wasn't sure. Great day on a great mountain.

Hi Lowell, glad you guys had a good ski - also that you did it in mountain boots is awesome. Yes, we've met a couple of times at the climbing gym and crossed paths on ski outings. I wasn't sure that was you, but should guessed when someone said "Carl". Definitely a fine day.

Bruce used mountain boots, but Carl and I used AT boots.  I debated which to use before the trip, but decided I wanted to maximize my ski chances.

Reply to this TR

june-5-6-2003-mt-rainier-emmons-glacier
russ
2003-06-09 05:35:27