Home > Trip Reports > Sep8, 2007- Easton Glacier, Mt. Baker

Sep8, 2007- Easton Glacier, Mt. Baker

9/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by korup on 9/9/07 2:09pm
After perusing lots of TRs, and soliciting advice here on TAY, I ended up going for broke, and combined a day hike with an exploration of the Easton, late-late season. Bergdorfer is pretty definitive about it being a good *early* season objective, but I found ~1000 feet of (mostly) crevasse-free, sun softened goodness. From the RR grade, the very W edge of the glacier looked good and not nearly as broken up as the lower section, which was just an ugly maze of muddy holes and slots. After hitting the high camp at ~6000 ft, I dropped onto the margin of the glacier, and then slowly meandered up through some big crevasses and out, onto and across, the wide plateau at ~6800 ft, where I joined the main climbing route. After passing some beer cans and a snowmobile drive belt, I was forced to stop by holes I couldn't easily end-run. I pulled my skins, and then had a superb solo run down the glacier, on 3" of soft granular snow under bright sunshine- a perfect day to get in my September, and 24 months of TAY'ing!

Reply to this TR

sep8-2007-easton-glacier-mt-baker
korup
2007-09-09 21:09:48