Home > Trip Reports > Sept.7/8, 2007, Ptarmigan Ridge

Sept.7/8, 2007, Ptarmigan Ridge

9/7/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 9/9/07 2:25am
So what happened to all of those people looking for September turns? My son, Gabe and I were the only skiers to answer all of those silly questions from hikers on the Ptarmigan Ridge. 

We found a nice campsite at Camp Kiser, with views of Baker and Shuksan, the Cascades and a Saturday ski destination below the Pinnacle. The down gear was appreciated as our little melt creek developed a ice skin and the stars in the clear night sky provided a show never seen near civilization. The snow obviously needed some time to soften, so we spent yesterday morning exploring the ridge from Coleman Pinnacle to Lasiocarpa Ridge. After startling several mountain goats, we reached a point where we could see all the way back to our car, the Sholes (where I had skied last month), Coast Mountains near our B.C. home and many other points of interest.

The snow was firm, but turnable, when we dropped down the snowfield SE of the Pinnacle. We were able to get over 600' of vertical with only one short carry. A 15 minute hike took us to the snow tongue that goes east of the hairpin turn on the Ptarmigan Ridge trail. Another 400vf of turns, some on firmish suncups, and it was time to head back to the car. I couldn't resist getting another 150vf on the snowfield that lies west of the trail, about a mile from Table Mountain,though.

The snow conditions are better than any September that I have ever experienced. Get out there soon and enjoy it. I'll post more pictures later.
Nice, thanks for the conditions update. Might try to hit it this coming weekend.

Excellent, and nice photos!  These four September turners were slogging our way up to Camp Muir.  We've been wanting to do the Ptarmigan Ridge for some time and will have to give it a try.

More beta and photos here:  http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=37024

Reply to this TR

sept-7-8-2007-ptarmigan-ridge
Telemon
2007-09-09 09:25:46