Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2003, MRNP - Nisqually Chute

June 8, 2003, MRNP - Nisqually Chute

6/8/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 6/8/03 9:25pm
It has been a beautiful week in the PNW, with above average warm temps. Ron and I decided to take advantage of fact that the Nisqually Chutes would be in prime condition.  Having those warmer temps, he mentioned that if any sliding in the chutes would happen, it would likely happen earlier in the week rather than later.  Sunday was to be a little cooler than the previous week days, so we decided that this Sunday was the day for our chute fest.  Getting an earlier than normal start, Ron and I met up with Darryl and Maureen, Robie, Dorthea, Bob N. and Adam.  The skies were clear, the sun was out, and the snow was in prime condition to start skinning just across the parking lot at Paradise.  8) Robie, Dorothea, and Adam headed towards Muir as we had our designs on those great Nisqually chutes.  The snow was in such great condition for skinning, we were able to skin right up and over the rolls above Pebble Creek without any problem.  At our geezer pace we finally caught up with Darryl, Maureen, and Bob at the main entrance to the chute at 8200 feet just before 12:30 p.m.  Prior to our arrival, four snowboarders jumped in and did a little snow stability testing for us.  After a short break, we prepared for the run down the chute.  The chute was in perfect condition, corn snow from top to bottom, turn after linked turn we skied to our hearts content, managing to ski some of the silkiest corn yet this year!   ;D  We climbed out to Glacier Vista and enjoyed more corn snow back to the Paradise parking lot.  It was another great day in the PNW.  Ron should have some photos available for viewing shortly.  
I knew it!  ;D

Glad to hear you had another nice day, guys. Can't wait to see the new pictures. Nisqually looked pretty nice on Mike Gauthier's website - he was riding with an ice axe so it must be prrretty steep :)

cheers
ivo

Definately a a great day for the "N Chutes".
Here's a shot of Darryl ripping it up.

Robie accused us of ripping off his group of primary party members, but hey, when they just show up in the middle of the day when you arrive at the top of the chute what are you supposed to do... send them home??

As Jeanette, said, it was great corn on a bombproof base... nothing moving anywhere.
Another classic knocked out again for another year.
More pics are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/nisquallychutes6803.msnw

Dana Dorsett skied it with us 2 years ago and did an article on it for First Tracks Online Magazine http://www.firsttracksonline.com/nisqually.htm
Hmmm.... lesssee, what's next??  8)

Looks like I missed a good one ! Great photos Ron ! 8)

Jerry

Hey Mad Dog & Ron - guess we were the 4 snowboarders you spoke of - I dropped in first - wow, what a wonderful ski, eh?

Were you the folks hanging on the rocks at the entrance when we dropped in?  I think I remember hearing voices over there, but my mind was kind of occupied...and hearing voices is nothing new.

Yep, that was us.
You guys looked real good on your boards -- really had your way with that chute...  nice job.
Except it looked like one of you fell and slid about half way down.  
There was a really long fresh butt glissade track when we skied it.  Musta been the rookie of the group, huh?
;D

Well, I should let the guilty party speak for himself, but he didn't mention needing any aloe vera for a raspberry.  He did say something about needing to change his diaper, though!  

Those chutes were in especially great form that day.  The best snow I've seen in there in a long time.  Would have been fun to meet you guys and finally put a face with the name.  Maybe next time.

Reply to this TR

june-8-2003-mrnp-nisqually-chute
JMor
2003-06-09 04:25:36