Home > Forum > Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)

Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)

• jd
  • [jd]
More
05 Sep 2007 10:50 #178349 by jd
Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July) was created by jd
I finally got around to stitching some panoramas from a trip to Ruth in July.

Start of hike:
File Attachment:

Below Hannigan Pass looking up valley to Ruth
File Attachment:

Wide view from ridge above Hannigan Pass:
File Attachment:

Traversing to Ruth:
File Attachment:

Ragged Ridge - Baker:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Sep 2007 07:47 #178728 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)
Beautiful. Those pictures make my feet itch. I'm going to have to learn how to stitch together panoramas some day.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
07 Sep 2007 10:10 #178729 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)
OK, I'm convinced that this stitching thing is worth investigating.

I've tried taking several shots into Photoshop and combining them.  First thing you learn is to turn off automatic settings so the color is consistent shot to shot.  But if the camera is not on the exact same height, or not perfectly vertical, or a bunch of other things, it does not come out right.

File Attachment:

So, what is the secret?  How are you doing your far superior stiches? Camera settings? Software?

• jd
  • [jd]
More
07 Sep 2007 15:52 #178731 by jd
Replied by jd on topic Re: Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)
Tim, Lowell, and other photo nuts,

I've been working on (studying equipment, software, and technique) panoramas for a few years now with varying levels of success, but now seem to have it down pretty well. There are many software packages that can stitch, some free (comes with many cameras), some $$$, and some just part of a larger program like Photoshop. Since I already had Photoshop that is what I tried first, but the auto stitching function in CS2 was sorely lacking. I persevered and often did it manually spending way too much time fiddling at my computer. CS3 is a huge improvement and many expert stitchers say it is as good or better than some of the expensive stand alone software, so I highly recommend the upgrade if you are a Photoshop user. It is almost like magic and works well most of the time if your original shots are good.

Like Tim pointed out shoot on manual so all the exposures are the same. Also make sure white balance is the same. These Ruth shots were all done with a Canon Digital Rebel XT using RAW format so I could process them all the same in my computer.

When you are into it you shoot a lot (like all photography) and toss out the bad ones, or don't even process em when you can see they will fail. I don't share those!

Mine also have the jagged edges, but I crop that off before posting. I try to frame with extra sky and ground knowing that will happen (especially if hand held). I often shoot these wide panos with the camera held vertically (portrait) to get a wider angle up and down, and make a higher resolution final stitch. Tripod mounting will minimize the cropping.

Get out there and shoot more of them guys, I love looking at them.

PS Charles was and is an inspiration to me with his great panos he's shared on this site.

Here is one I got in Gothic Basin at sunrise a couple weeks ago. I carried my big tripod up and it was worth it.
File Attachment:

More
07 Sep 2007 17:13 #178732 by Scole
Replied by Scole on topic Re: Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)
I've been pretty happy using a free program called Autostitch:

www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Here is a 3 photo panorama I took up at Baker at the end of this past season that I stitched together with Autostitch.

• jd
  • [jd]
More
15 Sep 2007 12:35 #178753 by jd
Replied by jd on topic Re: Panoramas from Ruth Mt. (July)
Good shot Larry, when are you going to post the 360s?