Home > Trip Reports > August 29, Mt. Baker, Coleman/Demning/Romanwall

August 29, Mt. Baker, Coleman/Demning/Romanwall

8/29/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by danhelmstadter on 8/29/07 11:32am
I awoke to a strange scratching sound, outside my truck.. a bear?... no it's definatly inside my truck, a rat! or something bigger than a mouse, and it's raising hell. It's three o'clock i'll be up in a bit, and if this thing trys to surface (from the storage under my matress), Sadie will take care of it. Every five minutes she would pounce on the food bin, when the rat was takeing morsels out from underneath,, my tailgate does'ent open and it was to much of a pain in the ass to sleep outside, besides ther're rats out there too. My alarm clock was set for five, but once the rat settled down i finally got some sleep in the form of a snooze-a-thon.
I got started on the trail around 8:30, ready to crush some el. I was  disapointed to find the Helitrope ridge cupped out, but as i got higher the cups dissapeared. there were runnels up to 8k, but sweet ripper corn above that... I proteceted with a picket for that notorious bridge (which really doesent need protection but i had it with me) there was a bit of a "dirty snow" area below the "cleaver" between glaciers. I hiked the cleaver agast at the fine smooth "maylike" corn which awaited me on the Roman wall. There was a little bit of glacial ice undearneath the corn on lookers left of the very top, but fine corn on lookers right. The summit had a bueatifull coat of corn, and I was stoked to ski the Park Headwall and climb back up to ski my approach route. Looking at the headwall gave me pause, there was no way I would ski it without climbing it first. I had time though, and I downclimbed with double axes. After the first ten feet of bueatifull corn,, there was nothing but pure black glacial ice under a "dusting" of corn. I went down further then traversed in hopes of a better find, but the same thing, there was no way I would drop in on this ice rink. Ripper corn the whole way down the Roman Wall. to a little traverse over the "cleaver" where I connected with the Coleman then more good snow, not quite as good, and there were cracks which needed to be bridged in thier locations (all on skiis). A couple crack hops some fun rolly skiing on the runnels low , and i was back at the truck at 5:00. I missed the "prize" of the Park Headwall, but i skiied some PERFECT corn in August, and drank some cold beers at the trailhead.

ill have to get my throwaway developed tommorow for pics
Cool....we walked out to the scholes yesterday and I was looking at the headwall wondering. From what I saw I'd say you made a good choice

Nice to see you had good snow, better hope for me if I head up there this september. I was up a few weeks ago on the Easton and did a late day summit (around 8 or 9pm) and tried to ski down, only to find the snow in very poor condition. I walked...down....a first for me, but better safe than sorry. I still had a few thousand feet of good skiing up high and down low. It looks like we may get some more snow up there this coming week.

I think those recent series of storms loaded the roman wall with several feet of new snow, I would have thought that the wind would have loaded the park headwall since the winds usually come from the west?, and there was a small new cornice, but nothing but ice deceptively covered with thin snow below, im glad I brought both axes for scopeing the conditions.

Damn, conditions looked sweet up there for late August! 

Jason, Jason, Jason....walked down?  This coming from a guy who skied HUGE ICY RUNNELS on the Mt. FURY?  ;)

Ha. Ha. I broke my ski pole and hit my head really hard...the excuses go on, but mainly it was just too hard to see the crevasses in the middle of the night and I nearly skied into one. I'm getting old and err...more conservative. What can I say? Lowell would be proud ;)

I woulda been scared.  Now when's the BBQ?

Reply to this TR

august-29-mt-baker-coleman-demning-romanwall
danhelmstadter
2007-08-29 18:32:07