Home > Trip Reports > August 26, 2007, Timberline, Mt. Hood

August 26, 2007, Timberline, Mt. Hood

8/26/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Volcanogrrl on 8/27/07 1:39am
Well, it hardly seems a TR worthy of this forum, but I do need to document my turns for posterity's sake.  Will I ever approach TomSki's streak?  This would be my 10th month of my streak... so i better hope for a LOT more birthdays!
I'm embarrassed to say that, at my advanced age, I was a bit hungover for this trip.  Then again, I can laugh at myself, and I invite you to laugh at me too. 
Saturday night was a blast, my friends had a really amazing wedding reception.  Great friends, great music, great times, and.... red wine. 
I conked out at 3 am in my sleeping bag on the floor of their house.  5 am i tried to wake up so i could head out to meet my friend.  No dice.  6 am, i was "functional" in the loosest sense of the term.  I trembled and stuttered down to the coffee shop for some liquid rehab, then hit the road.
Was to meet my friend Brian in Biggs.  I came out of the bathroom and there he was, first words out of his mouth were, "Hey!  Oh god put your sunglasses on and LEAVE THEM ON!"  I guess I was doing a pretty good impersonation of Keith Richards.
We threw my gear in the back of brian's jeep, and I crawled into my sleeping bag in the front seat. 
He nudged me awake as we were driving on hwy 35 and Hood came into full view.  Oh man, I never get tired of that view.  So beautiful.  Then i went back to sleep.
It was a bit cold and breezy at Timberline, but really pretty nice once we got moving.  I skied my new Bettys, which were super fun and turny.  Man I like those skis.  Brian has a new pair of piste pipes and he's digging them.  I like the way the bettys come out of a turn, not sure how to describe it -- like they're spring-loaded maybe?  Just a really fun ski.  (My limited prior experience on skis has been on k2 big kahunas, karhu jils, etc.)
We had fun just cruising around up there.  I really liked the little "river of snow" that you ski down to the lodge.  It was like a little amusement park ride.  The kids on snowboards were coming down it and doing little rock-splats and stuff off the side.  (In kayaking we'd call it a rock splat, i don't know what snowboarders call it.)
Lots of really talented skiers up there attending those camps.  Man those kids can jump.  AND, there were a lot of seriously awesome girls skiing and doing flips and all kinds of stuff.  Very cool to see so many teenagers out there shredding like mutants and kicking butt in general. 
By the time we got down to Hood River for late lunch/early dinner, I was feeling 80% whole.  We ate at the Dark Horse.  Neat place with nice views of the town.  Still, my fave place to eat in Hood River is the little Thai food bus.  Nice family, excellent food. 
The drive home was uneventful.  I'm really glad we did that, though.  It was a fun trip.  I'll get some pics up soon.  I'm sure TomSki is scared, with me biting at his heels.... ;) 
Oh boy T.  Sounds like another trip with brian off to a great start!:-) 

I want to try your betty's this winter...

em

You got it sista!  The Bettys are a hoot. 
Yup, never a dull moment, eh?  He's pretty eager to go to the light (i.e. take up telemark skiing) if he can find folks who'll go with him. 

Reply to this TR

august-26-2007-timberline-mt-hood
Volcanogrrl
2007-08-27 08:39:12