Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2003, Chinook Pass Ski Day

June 1, 2003, Chinook Pass Ski Day

6/1/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kjrueter on 6/5/03 8:31pm
Chinook Pass Washington

Premier Day on Chinnook. Outstanding conditions and weather. We climbed over 6K vertical and skied both the North and South side of the pass. It was my 10yr old sons first back country experience. The west glades were good when the sun became intense. Steeps were a great way to end of the day. Popular day with most the parking being used and limited sapce. However, skier density was fine and not a issue. 8)
That's so cool that you took your kid up to C Pass! I wish my Father had done that with me.

I also was up at C Pass and I agree the skiing was superb. My girlfriend wanted one last ski before knee and back surgery Friday. We left a car below Cayuse and drove to Tipsoo then skinned up to the false summit on Naches. (Locals I guess have the luxury of car shuttling.)  ;)
From the false summit we walked along the ridge twords Naches summit. Half way to the rock cliffs that go to the summit my buddy Mark looked down about 20 ft and I noticed a steep, treelined line with an entrance about 7 feet wide proceeding to a 20 feet wide chute which finished straight into the South bowl. I thought that it would be a piece of cake (No Pun- being da baker and all). Keep in mind that I have been eyeing this chute from the road for several years. I have not seen any tracks into this chute since the pass opened this season, although people may have decended this route. After informing my girlfiend of our ski plans I slipped into the upper chute and slid around to a wind lip that formed on a North exposure of the chute. As I crested the wind lip the chute dropped seemingly straight down. My surgery bound girlfriend became nervous when I was uncomfortable with the pitch and exposure. The Chute-Instead of running to the South bowl rolled slightly to the summit cliffs and the snow on chute had eroded several feet away from the rocks, plus the snow was smatered with rock debris from the upper cliff including a small separation at the end. All of this was not as obvious from the intitial sight above before commiting to the chute. Adrenaline pumping and side slipping about 5 feet to get the feel of the slope- testing for loose grannular snow. I made the great leap of faith. After the first turn stuck  ;D I knew I was home free! At least 20 turns of pure corn glory! Mark soon followed hooting all the way down. Now my girlfiend (an excellent skier) was very nervous. She wanted to hike out and go around to the lower entrance. We coaxed her and shortly thereafter she made the leap of faith and skied the chute beautifully. We gathered below the chute exit and skied the corn-a-copia the rest of the bowl to the lake above Tipsoo. What a rush! From there we ski hiked South and skied another steep, treelined, waterfall enhanced tight chute that extended into a steep glade ski all the way to the awaiting car.

Many high fives followed by several spirits consumed at our camp fire down the road at home.

I was at Chinook today 6-6-03. A very hot day although some young skiers in long sleave jackets, ski caps and gloves were vigorously shoveling to build a kicker so they could fly the highway just East of the summit. I figured they would get some big air!! With a shorter than my comfort landing zone. I wanted to stick around but had to pick up my girlfriend after her surgery. I did not need to witness Hospital Air. Maybe I'll see them in the ER? ??? I hope not!

The snow is receding fast at the pass. Get it while you can! Be safe and watch for glide cracks and false bridging in the warm afternoon most of the snow is consolidated now. Many srteams are running below the snow.

Thanks for the many reports and I hope everyone goes out and keeps the dream alive this weekend!

Joe Da' Baker

Reply to this TR

june-1-2003-chinook-pass-ski-day
kjrueter
2003-06-06 03:31:35