Home > Trip Reports > 08.06.07 Thredbo Backcntry, Snowy Mtns., Australia

08.06.07 Thredbo Backcntry, Snowy Mtns., Australia

8/6/07
World elsewhere
Posted by kam on 8/7/07 1:29am

arrived at Newcastle, Australia over a week ago.  will be spending one month at the Univ. of Newcastle in a think tank (nice padded room with a desk, box of pencils, and paper).  in addition to my laptop, i brought my skis and camera -- imagine that!

a colleague and his significant other were nice enough to take me south to visit Australia's highest mountains: Snowy Mountains.  it's a quick 8 hour drive in a sardine can to  Jindabyne, a quaint little town just outside of Kosciusko National Park (btw, Mt. Kosciusko is the tallest mountain in Australia, 7310 ft.).  there we spent the night, then on Monday morning we drove up the hill to Thredbo ski area.  after a few turns in bounds, it was time to explore the terrain a bit.  to my surprise, you can ski tour in Australia!

i will post more photos...
Kam,
Nice terrain features on the first photo.  Looks like the Southern Hemisphere is having a good ski season. 

Sweeeet.
Nice trip, Kamster.
Can't wait to see more photos.

Hey Kam, nice that you were able to gain a "hall pass" from the padded room.  Thanks for sharing your photos and adventure, will be looking forward to more of the same.  Be a good boy so you can get out again  ;).

Good on 'ya, mate, and nice call bringing the skis to the think tank!

Nice....looks great!

way to be, Toe.  Where's Weepay?

author=skip link=topic=7662.msg30665#msg30665 date=1186553740]
way to be, Toe.  Where's Weepay?
...in an internet cafe somewhere in Australasia  ;)

Despite a low New Zealand snowpack (them Aussie's are stealing all the snowfall this year >:( ), the skiing is still fun (even found a few powder stashes left at the Treble Cone ski area yesterday, a few days after the last snow storm, accessed by some in-bounds hiking).
Nice work Toe! Glad you got to check out Thredbo; they sure seem to have a lot more snow than when I was there about this time last year (I've heard this season has been Australia's biggest snow year in quite awhile).
See you in a few days Toe...

very niiiice, very niiiiice.  way to cut the turns down under.  ;)

We skied @ Treble Cone 3 years ago--great locals, good snow up high.  How'dja like the access road?  ::)

BTW, if you bring back a bottle of 42 Degrees South honey vodka, I'll pay you well for it.....

after Thredbo, the next day we skied Perisher Blue.  it's a very nice resort with lots of square footage, but the vert is about half that of Thredbo -- Thredbo has over 2100 vf. of gain.  the sky was crystal blue and the snow so, so soft.  i overheard a local talking to his mate on the cell and saying that snow was the best its been in 18 years.

on our way back to Newcastle we stopped for a quick stomp around the bush.  it took a few tries but i finally snuck up on them:

1. "whatcha looking at seppo?"
2. boing, boing

Those 'roos seem to find you interesting. Probably never seen home-made skis before.

i'm in New Zealand right now with Cass. we skied Cardrona today.  we'll try Treble Cone tomorrow.

Welcome down unda fellow seppo (My family and I've been in Melbourne for almost two years via the PNW - my last northern hemi turns were at the silverskis w/ Lowell). You've definitely hit the Oz ski season right this year but thats not saying much. We went out for a bit of an easy tour a few weeks ago - fun but....

For the duration of your visit I'd stick to multiple trips up the wonderful norther NSW coast - earn your turns in the wonderful right hand point breaks. Its been one of the better surf winters on reccord too.

If you get a chance to ski out of Christchurch still, the club fields are not to be missed (ie. Olympus and Craigieburn). Our family enjoyed late seaon solitude there last Sept -

08-06-07-thredbo-backcntry-snowy-mtns-australia
kam
2007-08-07 08:29:44