Home > Trip Reports > August 5, 2007, MRNP Paradise

August 5, 2007, MRNP Paradise

8/5/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 8/6/07 3:41am
It's in the bag, our August turns that is :D.  Ron and I arrived at Paradise with a couple of surrounding area destinations in mind.  The weather was clear and sunny so the hike in was very enjoyable with the abundance of wildflowers, and lack of people.  It turned out to be a leisurely hike to great snow, steeper aspects, very carveable turns and minimal to non existant sun cups  ;D.  The "geezers" took their lunch break enjoying the solitude, even spotting a herd of goats in the distance.  I'm not sure who was entertained more, them watching us having our way with the slope, or us watching them cavorting on the distant ridge.  We did get caught in a short rain and hail squall on our way out, which turned out to be rather refreshing as we hiked down the trail and out to the car. 
Summer corn produces some stellar ski conditions.
Yesterday was one of them. 
The skiing was perfect; the access was, well, August. 
I've seen worse; might see it next month  ;)

Trip Participants:

More pictures HERE.

Jeanette - I think you're ready for the Park Headwall  ;)

author=David_Coleman link=topic=7660.msg30637#msg30637 date=1186450925]

Probably not, :) I still need my "training" wheels ;).

I was thinking of heading up to Paradise this weekend to get some turns in and wanted to clarify the locale of your recent outing. I am also going to fly solo so wanted to know what the cracks and such looked like if any, and if you do/do not reccomend a solo outing. Looked like you all had some ropes in case so I assume there are manageable crevasses/cracks in that area?

author=David_Coleman link=topic=7660.msg30637#msg30637 date=1186450925]

That Wasn't the Park Headwall??  ???

author=skierlyles link=topic=7660.msg30639#msg30639 date=1186459122]
I was thinking of heading up to Paradise this weekend to get some turns in and wanted to clarify the locale of your recent outing. I am also going to fly solo so wanted to know what the cracks and such looked like if any, and if you do/do not reccomend a solo outing. Looked like you all had some ropes in case so I assume there are manageable crevasses/cracks in that area?

Skierlyles - It's really tough to give decent, responsible feedback to these kind of questions, to folks that you care about when you know little or nothing about them or their experience level.  Of course if you were a highly experienced mountaineer, maybe the only question you might still be asking is "where was that" unless you recognized the area from the pictures. 

Of course the only way to get the experience is to go.  If you don't have reliable partners it is always difficult. 

The best way I know of to get reliable ski partners is to be one.  It's a bummer to show up at the trailhead and be the only one there, so make sure you are not the cause of that happening to someone else.  Be flexible, congenial and responsible and you will develop reliable, compatible ski partners to go out with on a regular basis.

So back to what if there's no one to go with?  Many of the folks on this board solo on occasion, including myself.  But most of them have lots of experience in the mountains and understand the added risk of solo mountain travel, not to mention the potential fatal consequences of error.

One way to mitigate some of that risk is to plan a trip on a more heavily traveled route.  The Muir Snowfield is a good example.  That way if you mess up and hurt yourself you might still have help available through other travelers. 

Also, when you just GO, there is always at least a 50/50 chance of teaming up with new folks at a busy trailhead.  Be friendly and chatty with others that are gearing up to go.  "Where you headed" and gear comments/questions are always good ice breakers.  If it feels right a "you mind if I tag along with you?" will almost always be met with a positive response, unless maybe you have picked a newly dating couple that want to enjoy the mountains by themselves.  I certainly wouldn't refuse a solo skier or boarder at the trailhead unless I felt like they were woefully ill prepared and equipped and/or in far worse condition than myself (in other words a certain "baby sitting chore" -- even then, I might still take them if I was feeling charitable). 

As often as not there will be another solo skier or boarder at the trailhead in the same situation as you that will jump at the chance to team up with you.  Teaming up with other skiers at the trailhead is also a great way to meet great ski partners.  Ski mountaineering and glacier travel classes is another great method.

So that's my not so short version of my recommendations regarding solo backcountry skiing.  I hope you find it helpful.  Here's to your lifelong enjoyment of the mountains.

author=ron j link=topic=7660.msg30645#msg30645 date=1186499007]
Skierlyles - It's really tough to give decent, responsible feedback to these kind of questions, to folks that you care about when you know little or nothing about them or their experience level.  Of course if you were a highly experienced mountaineer, maybe the only question you might still be asking is "where was that" unless you recognized the area from the pictures. 

Of course the only way to get the experience is to go.  If you don't have reliable partners it is always difficult. 

The best way I know of to get reliable ski partners is to be one.  It's a bummer to show up at the trailhead and be the only one there, so make sure you are not the cause of that happening to someone else.  Be flexible, congenial and responsible and you will develop reliable, compatible ski partners to go out with on a regular basis.

So back to what if there's no one to go with?  Many of the folks on this board solo on occasion, including myself.  But most of them have lots of experience in the mountains and understand the added risk of solo mountain travel, not to mention the potential fatal consequences of error.

One way to mitigate some of that risk is to plan a trip on a more heavily traveled route.  The Muir Snowfield is a good example.  That way if you mess up and hurt yourself you might still have help available through other travelers. 

Also, when you just GO, there is always at least a 50/50 chance of teaming up with new folks at a busy trailhead.  Be friendly and chatty with others that are gearing up to go.  "Where you headed" and gear comments/questions are always good ice breakers.  If it feels right a "you mind if I tag along with you?" will almost always be met with a positive response, unless maybe you have picked a newly dating couple that want to enjoy the mountains by themselves.  I certainly wouldn't refuse a solo skier or boarder at the trailhead unless I felt like they were woefully ill prepared and equipped and/or in far worse condition than myself (in other words a certain "baby sitting chore" -- even then, I might still take them if I was feeling charitable). 

As often as not there will be another solo skier or boarder at the trailhead in the same situation as you that will jump at the chance to team up with you.  Teaming up with other skiers at the trailhead is also a great way to meet great ski partners.  Ski mountaineering and glacier travel classes is another great method.

So that's my not so short version of my recommendations regarding solo backcountry skiing.  I hope you find it helpful.  Here's to your lifelong enjoyment of the mountains.

ron j,

thanks for the words of wisdom- it seems you have much to teach and I have much to learn. I would love to be your padawan learner :)

Yes, you are correct about the solo mountaineering- it is almost always a risky proposition and I would never do so unless I knew the area and was near others who may be able to assist me if I were in need. I was merely inquiring as to  whether this was a location with any crevasses, because if so I would not venture anywhere close without a partner.

I have before and will also try and just show up at the Paradise parking lot to see if I may run into any other potential partners. It is funny how us ski mountaineers all stick together and are more than willing to take on another in need. As you have seen by my few posts and question posed that I am new to ski mountaineering and I thank you for all of your words. They are not taken lightly and I am always grateful to those who have wisdom to offer. I am a student of the field and have taken to reading all applicable literature and wish to continue my studies in the field. And yes, next on the agenda is the crevasse rescue class offered by the Mountaineers as well as all of the requisite equipment. I sometimes post "partners wanted" on this website and find that it is usually best to use my current network of ski buddies to fill the "partner" need. I have only been bc skiing for one year and am hooked for life and will surely meet and ski with you someday.

So in closing- I was planning on going to a busy trailhead this weekend and hope to hook up with someone, but if not, are there any suggestions you have other than the Muir snowfield? I will hike to Muir and ski it if all else fails, seems it still has some skiable vert left on it according to earlier posts. Also, feel free to let me in on any trip you may need a buddy on- I am itching to get out there and have some turns.

Thanks again for the caring words.

Chris "skierlyles"

Skierlyles,
                RonJ and Mad-Dog always know where the goods are and have more secret stashes than Tony Soprano but like the Sopranos, " Once you're in ,there's no getting out" and the penalty for revealing a Jarvis secret summer stash is severe.  So be warned, he'll show you where it is if you happen to show up at the right time , at the right place with a good attitude but secrets must be kept. ;)
RonJ and Mad-Dog are my Jedi masters and I'm still learning from them  on every trip! ;D

author=Scotsman link=topic=7660.msg30661#msg30661 date=1186550646]
Skierlyles,
                RonJ and Mad-Dog always know where the goods are and have more secret stashes than Tony Soprano but like the Sopranos, " Once you're in ,there's no getting out" and the penalty for revealing a Jarvis secret summer stash is severe.  So be warned, he'll show you where it is if you happen to show up at the right time , at the right place with a good attitude but secrets must be kept. ;)
RonJ and Mad-Dog are my Jedi masters and I'm still learning from them  on every trip! ;D

Your check's in the mail, Scottie.

author=ron j link=topic=7660.msg30662#msg30662 date=1186551121]
Your check's in the mail, Scottie.

Chris - I think that's code for saying your not going to be whacked.

PS: Looks like Paradise glacier area to me ;)

author=Scotsman link=topic=7660.msg30661#msg30661 date=1186550646]
Skierlyles,

I know the family rules- I know that " There is no leaving the family!" and whenever I try to get out, "they pull me right back in!". I am always down for some schooling and this is one class I would't miss for the world! All three of you guys post often enough for me to learn something, and as I am sick of "remote learning", it's time for some "hands on snow" experience. Is a six pack enough to get some lessons?

author=skierlyles link=topic=7660.msg30679#msg30679 date=1186621571]
.... Is a six pack enough to get some lessons?

We'll be in touch ;)

Mad_Dog, Ronj -- Good on you for keeping the streaks alive.

Oh yes, I recognize that patch. It kept my fledgling streak alive in August 2005.
And as the Scotsman so wisely notes, I shall tell no one; no, not ever!! 8)

PS, loved the Slush Cup radio piece.

Reply to this TR

august-5-2007-mrnp-paradise
JMor
2007-08-06 10:41:01