Home > Trip Reports > August 5, 2007, – Mt. Baker – Ptarmigan Ridge

August 5, 2007, – Mt. Baker – Ptarmigan Ridge

8/5/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by AndyMartin on 8/5/07 12:22pm
Looking North for August turns this year in the hopes of better snow, I was rewarded. Ptarmigan Ridge on Mt Baker offered turns on all aspects on lightly sun cupped, soft snow. This time my long-suffering wife hiked with me (not to ski), but she was there to ply me with cold drinks and mop my brow in case the suffering became too much! 2,800€™ of turns for 3,500€™ total gives a JOM factor of 80%, if I understand that thing correctly. Certainly it€™s tough to beat the access from Artist Point; one mile of level trail brings up the view in the first picture. Now, let€™s pray for September snow!
Still looks good up there---and thanks for the same-day vicarious thrill. :D

I was one of the two hikers with skis that you may have seen on one of your runs. It was about 10 and you were passing two backpackers at the top of the run. We continued on to the Sholes Glacier. I'll file a report tomorrow.BTW the second peak is Sherman,not Colfax. (' :)

author=Telemon link=topic=7658.msg30630#msg30630 date=1186383417]
I was one of the two hikers with skis that you may have seen on one of your runs. It was about 10 and you were passing two backpackers at the top of the run. We continued on to the Sholes Glacier. I'll file a report tomorrow.BTW the second peak is Sherman,not Colfax. (' :)

Hi Telemon, thanks for the reply. I was hoping to talk to you guys but the timing didn't work out. Stellar day though! Thanks for the correction on Sherman Peak, I'd fix it if I knew how to edit the text!

Reply to this TR

august-5-2007-a-mt-baker-a-ptarmigan-ridge
AndyMartin
2007-08-05 19:22:36