Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2003, Hidden Lake pk, East and West slopes

June 4, 2003, Hidden Lake pk, East and West slopes

6/4/03
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 6/4/03 10:32pm
Finally a clear day!  I started up the trail at 7AM, would have had a little earlier start but I had to stop and cut an alder that was across the road down lower (I'm glad I brought my saw, second time in my last two trips there that would have ruined a good day if I didn't have one.)

Got to the summit ridge at 11:00 a couple of hundred yards north of pt 7088.  The views were unlimited: Three Fingers, Whitehorse, Buckindy Grouping, Twin sisters, Baker, Sahale, T-bone ridge, Pickets, chopping block, Spickard, Pyrimid/Colonial group, Eldorado, and the rest in the area surrounding Cascade Pass.  Clear as a bell.  

The route I followed was to exit the Sibley pass avalanche gully early and head straight for the summit.  I very steep 100 vertical ft. of busyhwacking followed by another 100 vert. of less steep, then small open trees for a short while and then treeline just where the slide debris entered the trees below pt 7088.  I think that this may have saved some time, but it certainly helps avoid some of the exposure from above in Sibley pass and the traverse.  This early and under these conditions, I am sure that slides were not an issue.  It is an alternate that I was happy to do alone, but if I had a friend along, I would probably delay my move off the trail until I got to the open trees just to the south west of the pass/gully.  I did a slow rising traverse south, crossing several other paths and then headed to the summit from the southwest.  A very gradual ascent line.  The snow had a firm frozen top, but occasionally broke to less consolidated layers.  I could not skin a very steep line.  A snow pit told me that the snow below was very homogenous to several feet, at least, but was not frozen hard.  It did seem pretty adhered, just not frozen hard.

My goal was to explore the Northeast side of pt.7088 and I was not disappointed this day.  The sun had been on that side for quite some time, but the base was frozen much deeper, and harder.  I feared that cornices might block my entrance into this beautiful area but the sun is so intense on this side that the cornices had melted back to 0-8ft. escarpments.  No overhangs, and a number of entry sites at about 6700ft.  This whole bowl down to the tarn has fabulous terrain for all levels of skiers.  Unlike the West side, it seemed to suffer much less from snow slides.  The descents could probably exceed 1500ft.  I limited my two descents to ~800 ft. and 600ft. or just shy of the tarn.  At this level the snow was just too soft for the cost of climbing back out.  The solar irradiation was super intense.  A good nickname for this area would be X-ray Bowl!

After a relaxed lunch near the top and a wait for the snow to soften a bit, I headed down the west side, taking a direct line down the fall line for about 1000ft. then northward traverse/climbs and descents until I got to the Pass area.  

The snow softened a lot near the bottom, but since the best skiing terrain is top 1000ft. I couldn't complain.  In any case, even though it was soft it was not that bad.  (to qualify these condition assessments, note that I am skiing leather boots with two buckle'straps on TUA Heliums and three pin cables)  This combination lets me move fast and comfortably, yet I get good flotation in the crude even if it doesn't look pretty!

I was at the car just at 3:15.  ~4000 ft. of vertical, with 2400ft. of quality descent, some slop and some walking.

I can't overstate getting an early start enough in these conditions.  It is pretty obvious from the comments here and logged into the register that the snow there has been sloppy.  With the clear weather, it is corning up well and consolidating, but at these high temperatures I am not sure if it refreezing is to the extent as we would all like.  Also, even though most of the larger snow slides that are going to occur have already probably happened, I have to admit that the Pass area itself is very steep in spots, even lower down in the trees.  Small wet slides here later in the day could cause someone real harm.  

I wish I knew how to post a picture here.

Alan
Alan,

Speaking of the alder, check this out:

Kam,

I have no doubt that there was much more unstable snow when you were there.  Like I said, even later in the afternoon I got a bit concerned.  Just to the north of the corniced section, there was some very steep snow up high on the ridge.  Some of this had glide cracks and that is why I recommend an early start.

On the other hand hopefully this hot weather will cause any weaknesses to either slip of relax.

Pt. 7088 is really just a bump on that long ridge and in cloudy weather it would be hard to know exactly where to turn.  I scrambled the summit during a summer hike years ago, so I didn't do the summit this time.  A lot of jumbled rocks.

Is there a ladder or trail the lookout?

Alan

Reply to this TR

june-4-2003-hidden-lake-pk-east-and-west-slopes
Alan Brunelle
2003-06-05 05:32:39