Home > Trip Reports > July 28, 2007, Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker

July 28, 2007, Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Baker

7/28/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/28/07 1:04pm
The road is now open to Artist Point.  The trail was almost entirely snow free under Table Mountain.  We toured out Ptarmigan Ridge to Coleman Pinnacle, but skis were on and off 3 or 4 times along the way.  Surface conditions were good, but not great:  moderately suncupped, little pollen, just soft enough.  We found our best runs down the north side of Ptarmigan Ridge just short of Coleman Pinnacle.  Also enjoyed a little pond skimming on the way back home.

We are planning a backpacking trip this weekend for a buddy, but a few of us are thinking about heading out a day early to get some turns (not everyone in the group skis).  We'd like to find a place where there is still skiable snow, but backpacking would be possible.  Your thoughts on Ptarmigan would be appreciated (or any other ideas).  Thanks!

At Baker, you'd have a choice between Artist Point/Ptarmigan Ridge and Heliotrope Ridge. 

From Artist Point, it's a shorter walk to snow.  You could head for Camp Kiser (behind Coleman Pinnacle) and you'd find reasonable skiing off Ptarmigan Ridge and lower Sholes Glacier.  I haven't been high up on Baker this year, but I read that it's a bit to crevassed for good skiing now.  For the hikers, much of the trip would be on snow (but the skiers like it that way).

At Heliotrope Ridge, it's a longer walk to snow (you start about 1200 feet lower), but it may be a prettier hike.  I haven't been there this year, but other folks found good skiing there last weekend.

If you're looking for skiing, I think either place at Baker will give you better skiing than Paradise at Rainier.

Reply to this TR

july-28-2007-ptarmigan-ridge-mt-baker
GregSimon
2007-07-28 20:04:31