Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2003, Nisqually Chutes, Mt. Rainier

June 4, 2003, Nisqually Chutes, Mt. Rainier

6/4/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 6/4/03 9:21pm
Spent the evening at Cougar Rocks and left the Paradise parking lot around 8am.  At the base of Panorama Pt., I put on the ski crampons and was happy I did.  Noticed a few skiers ahead of me but they were headed towards Paradise Glacier.  The top of Nisqually Chutes was in perfect condition.  The climb was pleasant due to a breeze. Entered the chute and it was hero corn, an inch of cream with a firm base.  As I descended I moved skier left to avoid some old debris and stay on the slopes not receiving  direct sun exposure.  The corn was perfect and I had the place to myself.  The clear evenings have firmed up the snowpack and I couldn't help but "bark and yelp" on the way down.:)  Zap
Good call for a trip yesterday.
I was just thinking this morning that they should be getting nice.  We noticed last Sunday when we were up on the Tatoosh that the main chute had a slid during the day.  How as the snow stability in the west facing morraine slopes on the climb out?

The slopes on skiers left were in great shape but became softer on the last 200 vf as I approached the climb out. Soft but stable.  If you get a late start, I would save time and ski the lower northwest facing slopes before they soften too much. Zap

Reply to this TR

june-4-2003-nisqually-chutes-mt-rainier
Zap
2003-06-05 04:21:06