Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2003, Rocky Slot,Pinnacle Peak

June 3, 2003, Rocky Slot,Pinnacle Peak

6/3/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 6/4/03 9:05pm
I've been spending too much time getting the boat ready to circumnavigate Vancouver Is. and waiting for the snowpack to consolidate.  The recent weather setup ideal corn conditions, so I headed to Paradise to ski a couple days. Arrived a bit late for Nisqually Chutes so headed for Reflection Lakes to ski a line below Pinnacle Peak.  Followed the normal approach to Castle and at 5200' along the ridge began skinning up Pinnacle.  As the pitch steepens, I put on the ski crampons. Traversed the slope climbers right towards the trees and finally entered the slot.  The slot is barely visible from the road and is shaded by trees and has a NW exposure.  The slot is quite steep in sections, 46-48 degrees in one section then moderates to the 30's.  One surprise that wasn't visible from the road is the rock debris in the middle of the slot.  Needless to say, you need to pack your skis and start kicking steps up the slot and move climbers right to a ridge to avoid any falling rocks.  An ice axe would be helpful.  You can climb as high as your comfort level allows.  This is not a good place to start a "slide for life" fall because the runout is not friendly.  You can also approach this area from the saddle between Pinnacle and Plummer Peak but you won't be able to see/feel the snow conditions in the slot.  

The ski conditions on the top were perfect corn and continued thru the steep pitch in the slot.  The rock debris section required a few traversing kick turns then soft mush until into the trees.  The slot continues to the bottom of the area that you would cross on your way to the slopes below and between Pinnacle and Plummer Peaks.  This is the area Ron and the group crossed this weekend.  I skied it around noon and could have been two hours earlier for a more enjoyable lower section.

Zap
Another good call... ideal for a short day.  
I was eyeballing that as we came by the bottom of it on Sunday.  It's a pretty sweet little avy chute.  We climbed it last fall on a "ski terrain recon" hike, but I haven't stopped to ski it yet.  In fact, as you undoubtedly know, there is 3 or 4 nice lines along that side.  So much to ski, so little time  :)

Which reminds me, Zap, the tour we did last Sunday was a direct evolutionary descendent of you're generous sharing of your ski destinations on Brent's site several years ago.  Those reports prompted many trips to many great ski descents in this area.  Had it not been for your sharing it would have taken many more trips to locate the lines you shared and others nearby.  
For that generosity, not to mention your continued sharing, I thank you.

Ron,

Thanks for the kind words.  We'll have to share a few lines in the future.  I enjoy skiing with you young kids, especially when you break trail. ;)

Zap

... We'll have to share a few lines in the future.  I enjoy skiing with you young kids, especially when you break trail. ;)

:)
I don't mind breaking trail.  I'm not sure you'll be happy with the snail's pace that seems to be my upper limit, however.
While I'd certainly love to share some lines with you (skiing that is) and while there is plenty of strong healthy kids in the gaggle that I hang out with, I fear that you might lose in a contest of calendar years with this geezer  :)

Reply to this TR

june-3-2003-rocky-slot-pinnacle-peak
Zap
2003-06-05 04:05:38