Home > Trip Reports > July 14-15, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier

July 14-15, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier

7/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by runningclouds on 7/17/07 2:50pm
July 14, Saturday: Left White River Campground around 6 AM. Passed by somewhat overzealous park ranger at Glacier Basin Camp who checked our permit and preached a bit too much for my taste. The Inter Glacier is dirty and starting to develop some serious suncups, there are two minor crevasses opening. I did a run on the upper half and it was a pretty good one.
Camped at Schurman.

July 15, Sunday: Left camp at 6 AM. Crevasses are opening up, however, they are still easy to cross. The weather did not co-operate: we cached our skis at 3500 m (11480 ft) because of high winds and the fact that the top of the mountain was in cloud. Put crampons on and made it to  4172 m (13690 ft) in high winds and milky bottle conditions. Turned back because we could not see how to cross the summit bergschrund.
The ski down was a mixed bag, the first portion between 3500 and 3000 m (11480 - 9850 ft) was great corn, the lower portion all the way to camp Schurman was too soft about ankle deep although in some spots it was more like a boot deep slush. Ironically the Inter Glacier had better snow as it was covered by clouds most of the day.

Skinned about half of Inter Glacier, booted the second half. Skinned Emmons to camp Schurman, on summit day we left the skins in camp. Walking seems faster at this time. The bootpack is well set. If I were to go next week I'd leave the skins at home.

I think the route is going to be in great shape for the rest of the month.
We'll try next year!

Short slideshow at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157600872941614/
Yeah I found Interglacier to be infinitely better than Emmons too, even in similar conditions.  I guess it's all about the aspect.

And that ranger is definitely a little too talkative, we were intercepted on both the up and the down.

Reply to this TR

july-14-15-emmons-winthrop-mt-rainier
runningclouds
2007-07-17 21:50:48