Home > Trip Reports > July 2-3, 2007, Mt Baker, Easton Gl. (late report)

July 2-3, 2007, Mt Baker, Easton Gl. (late report)

7/2/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 7/15/07 9:14am
Here's another late (and brief) report from me. After skiing Adams on the 1st, Jonathan and I drove to Seattle were we stayed the night at the house of the gracious Chez Wild (thanks Silas! Silas - you're welcome anytime at my apt. in Tigard). After a lot of packing we started late the next day departing for Mt Baker around 1pm.

We camped that night at a nice spot at the base of the Railroad grade that offered excellent views. The upper portion of Baker was capped by clouds (which it was for most of the following day too).

We headed up the next morning after sunrise. Jonathan heading up:

At the base of the Roman Wall we entered the whiteout and transitioned to bootpacking. We navigated to the summit plataue via GPS, then picked our way back down the whiteout via GPS. The snow was softer than optimal, but not too bad.

Jonathan skiing down were the clouds started to end:

Back at camp the clouds finally cleared and we got our first full view of the mountain:

That night we slept at the TH and the next morning Jonathan hooked up with Silas, et al. for the Squak glacier. I would have liked to ski again but I needed to get back to Portland at a decent hour (it€™s 6 hours to PDX).

Mt Baker is pretty neat and I hope to visit more in the future.
author=Jeff Huber link=topic=7589.msg30309#msg30309 date=1184544881]
Here's another late (and brief) report from me. After skiing Adams on the 1st, Jonathan and I drove to Seattle were we stayed the night at the house of the gracious Chez Wild (thank you Silas! Silas - you're welcome anytime at my apt. in Tigard). ...

Mt Baker is pretty neat and I hope to visit more in the future.

You're welcome, though try arriving before my bedtime next visit, eh?  :) 
Thank YOU for the bargain Voelkl Mountain skis (despite the de-lam), and thanks to Ben for showing me how they can ski!  Hope to be schooled by Ben again soon, get well pal!

One of these years I will have to visit Rose City and have you guide me up Snowdome.

Come on back for E side of Baker in those lean months of August and September.

Reply to this TR

july-2-3-2007-mt-baker-easton-gl-late-report
Jeff Huber
2007-07-15 16:14:41