Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2003, Skyline Divide

June 3, 2003, Skyline Divide

6/3/03
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by TeleRoss on 6/3/03 11:17pm
Went up to Skyline Divide yesterday(6/3). Drove the Deadhorse Creed Road to about a mile from the TH. Patchy snow on the road prevented skinning. So I walked the road, and I ended up hiking all the way up the trail to the top of the ridge,(although the trail is solid snow after about 700 vertical feet gain) where I finally put on skins. It took about 20 min. to get from car-TH, and about an hour to get from TH to the top of the ridge line. Skinned south up the ridge to the second prominent "peak" that you come to and had a nice 1200' run down a NE facing slope. Skinned back up to the ridge and continued south almost to where Skyline Divide merges with Chowder Ridge and took another 1000' run down an E facing aspect. Skinned back up to the ridge and made my way northward back to wards the route down to the trail. A great trip with endless skiing possibilities, just wish I could have spent a few days up there.....

-Ross
Ross,

Sounds like it would be great for next week.  What was the snow like?

Alan

Snow was great.  Firm with about 1/2 to 2 inches of soft, perfectly baked Cascade Corn.  There's skiing on every aspect up there so you can work it to stay away from the mank....I think I might be up there again next week too...
Ross

Hey.  I live over in Spokane and I really want to get into backcountry hiking.  I got a pack, an Osprey Ceres 38-liter, and I'm thinking about going on a hike up to Chowder Ridge and Skyline Divide sometime between July 7th-11th.  I bought the book "100 Classic Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Routes (in Washington)", and it has Chowder Ridge listed as Intermediate.  From what I've read it seems like a pretty easy hike and I want to try it out.  I have driving and hiking directions from the book, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can about it.  If you could help me out and give me directions, tips, and anything else you want to add-in yourself, that would be awesome.  Since it's only a one day trip, we were planning on camping there and building a few jumps for a couple days.  It sounds like a blast and I can't wait.  So, e-mail me back asap at:   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Thanks a lot.

Reply to this TR

june-3-2003-skyline-divide
TeleRoss
2003-06-04 06:17:20