Home > Trip Reports > July 9-10, 2007, Mt Baker via Easton Glacier

July 9-10, 2007, Mt Baker via Easton Glacier

7/9/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 7/11/07 12:41am
I joined up with a fun group of climbers to scurry up Mt. Baker. As they weren't keen on my skiing the glacier unroped, I was happy to leave my skis at our high camp for my first trip up a sizeable glacier. The clear skies made for stellar views at sunset and while we climbed early to beat the heat.  Crevasse avoidance on the ascent was relatively straightforward, though the presently installed superhighway crosses one somewhat-dubious snowbridge that may not survive the next few days (and would probably require relocating a sizeable chunk of the route, should it fail).

The crater was steamy with healthful vapors, and the Roman Wall easily surmounted on a well-formed icy staircase at extreme climber's right. On ascent and descent, I lusted after the few ski tracks descending the Wall. Our ~8:30ish summit was a little late, as the snow softened quickly. The upper mountain was easily skiable at that time. We plunge stepped to the high-calf/knee down the glacier to camp in the uniform, but very soft, snow.

The ski from our high camp went nicely, as the runnels had softened enough to be pleasant. The snowline was perhaps as low as 4600'.  The high camps on the Easton will have a couple of larger commercial groups in them for the next couple of days.

While I had a ball with our large group of climbers, I can't wait to head back to the mountain with the right tools on my feet.
Thanks for the report. Headed up there this afternoon...

- Matt

Reply to this TR

july-9-10-2007-mt-baker-via-easton-glacier
Charlie Hagedorn
2007-07-11 07:41:19