Home > Trip Reports > 7/8, Lb.c. via ptarm. ridge, mowich face attempt

7/8, Lb.c. via ptarm. ridge, mowich face attempt

7/8/07
Canada BC
Posted by danhelmstadter on 7/10/07 3:57am
This high pressure is awsome,, hopefully it wont bake all the snow out or fry it it to suncups to soon. sunday was bueatifull, and a little windy as we hiked up the lower ptarmagin ridge. Me and Sky were both excited to attempt to ski the upper p.r., as the line looked pretty enticeing in the morning sun. We downclimbed a bit and traversed to the base of the route. The snow was in good condition, a few patches of ice on the traversy part higher on the route. There was about 5 pitches we roped up for with a 30m. some really fun ice climbing, with quality plastic ice, then a little rotten section at the top of the technical pitches. it was a long slog to liberty cap, we had to change ski plans because the sun was getting low, and if we wanted to ski p.r. we would have a bunch of raps, and by then the snow would have been shaded and frozen, not ideal for skiing. We considered several options, the winthrop, but the mowich face was looking bueatifull earlier in the day, we decided to give it a shot, the skiing off liberty cap was pretty crappy, as we plowed through 1' petientets, the snow got really good as we rolled over on to the edmunds,, then schchchch, uh oh- there is blue ice under this corn, a crapload of it, with about 1/2" to 2" of corn on top. With one of the prettiest ski lines below me, it was hard to take off the skiis and switch to poons, but a wise decision. Downclimbing the edmunds proved to be draining, and i got pretty dehydrated, takeing my sweet time. luckily there was water to be found below the big crevase, the sun had set, and we continued downclimbing ice/snow on the mowich face. It was very hard to be downclimbing such a sick line, but conditions are everything, and it will be there next year.
Nice effort you guys.
Way to use your head.

Select climbing shots - let's see if I can use this thumbnail rig:

I'm pretty excited about this new camera!

Nice camera!  Looks like you guys had a long day, nice work.  Glad I missed the blue ice/ski mix, but it would have been nice to have joined you for the climbing. 

Yeah, nice pics.
So what's the new camera & what do you like about it?

Ron-
New camera is Nikon Coolpix P5000.  It's small and has 3.5 optical zoom for 36mm-126mm range, an optical viewfinder, fully manual and lots of other options, and 10 megapixels.  I think it'll be a good compromise between the old skool Canon F1 that used to get me really great skiing shots and the ultralight Coolpix S1 that I've been using since my F1 got stolen.  I want better skiing shots, but I don't want to lug a beast.

Thanks, Mate.

Reply to this TR

7-8-lb-c-via-ptarm-ridge-mowich-face-attempt
danhelmstadter
2007-07-10 10:57:30