Home > Trip Reports > July 7, 2007, Pinnacle-Plummer Gully

July 7, 2007, Pinnacle-Plummer Gully

7/7/07
Posted by jd on 7/10/07 12:05am
I parked at Reflection Lake in the afternoon and headed up to climb Pinnacle Peak. I hoped to find a little snow to make some turns, and get some afternoon
North Face Plummer

I was psyched to find excellent snow (even at 5 pm) on the north face of Plummer. I dropped into a steep little shot just off the ridge , and skied to the bottom of the snow ~700 feet down , then climbed back up. This was one of the best shots I got in a 5 day trip and should be good for the next week at least. The snow was just slightly bumpy, nicely corned in the evening. There are other good lines to be had in the area, including a run down the back (south side).

I could have made another run, but wanted to scramble up Pinnacle (which was one of my first climbs with my father 40 years ago). Rando boots made it feel harder than I remember so I took my time on the exposed top section. Luckily most (but not all) of the rock up there is pretty solid. The views from the top are worth it.

View down to snow below Pinnacle-Castle Saddle

Sunset on Plummer Peak
Second to last photo shows the slush cup venue. :D
Looks like pond may be ready by mid -August.

Thanks for the TR and could you climb Pinnacle every two weeks to give us a picture of the slush cup pond forming?  ;)

Thanks
Scotsman.

That's a sweet tour, Justin.
Way to nail it before many of the good lines are gone.
And ditto on what Scottie said - thanks for checking out the slush cup for us.
Great photos, too!

Here it is about a month earlier looking from the Paradise Gl on Rainier.  

Between Pinnacle on the left, and Denman on the right.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lane-Plummer mix up Ron. I've edited to correct.

Here is another shot looking down directly onto the slush pond for planning purposes.

Hey, that pond is already looking good.  And wouldn't it be novel to have a snow landing instead of a rock landing....
What do you think the size is?

Reply to this TR

july-7-2007-pinnacle-plummer-gully
jd
2007-07-10 07:05:14