Home > Trip Reports > July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier

July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier

7/7/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Marcus on 7/9/07 10:37am
I was going to tack on a note to

Great pics guys...Great to meet you up there!
I probably don't need to start a new thread since the route was described so well already.  Jeremy and I were fortunate to have slept through our alarms set for 3:30 am! We started up at 5:30 and descended around 1:15 and that may have been a bit too early given the conditions.  It was a bit firm on the top section under the bergshrund but softened considerably around 12,000 ft.   We recovered several items on our way down including a thermous and a shiney new blackdiamond head lamp, the latter of which I returned to its owner back down at camp and was rewarded with an ice cold can of Rainier ;D.  It doesn't get any better than that!
Sorry to hear the ranger snagged your sneakers! That hike out must have been brutal in ski boots!

Nice!  I was wondering if y'all were TAY folks.  Great to meet you and nice job Sunday.  A perfect weekend.  Fortunately the ranger didn't find my shoes, so the hike was only painful, not hideous.

Awesome job!!!  Sounds like the weather Gods were with you and you had an enjoyable trip and great group!  I was wishing I was with you - or at least hanging at Schurman with a beer while watching you slog up and ski down - as I admired Rainier from the city/coast.  Skiing's the way to get down, huh!

Skiing down is definitely the way to go but I gotta admit, the last little ski down the Interglacier with my full backpack just about killed me!  And thank goodness the Rainier rangers didn't steal our cached shoes ... that would have been horrible! 

What a GREAT trip!  Thanks again everyone (and Pete for organizing!) It was so fun being up there w/such fun friends and meeting some nice new folks from TAY.  Can't wait to do it again ... but next time Nate has to join us!  ;D

-- Q

Great job you guys!  I wish I coulda been there.  How soon will you be ready to go back up?  :)  I think my training regiment while you were up there of driving 4 hours to the coast, drinking for 12 hours and driving 4 hours back has me in tip-top shape.  I'm ready for a 1-day ascent!

Ha!  What are you doing next Saturday?

Oh, looks like I mis-read my notes -- that was supposed to be "a 7-day ascent."

Reply to this TR

july-7-8-2007-emmons-winthrop-mt-rainier
Marcus
2007-07-09 17:37:29