telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/21/19, 01:32 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier  (Read 3251 times)
Marcus
Administrator

July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier
« on: 07/09/07, 06:37 PM »

I was going to tack on a note to Pete's excellent TR, but decided a few extra pictures and the slower July TR pace justified a post of my own. 

All went as he described, except that Anastasia, Kirsten and I were on a tighter timeline and hiked into Schurman on Saturday morning.  We arrived just as Pete and Becky were returning to camp at 3 o'clock.  Watching them carve up the lower half of the corridor gave us high hopes for the next day and we spent a long afternoon drinking, relaxing and revelling in the fact that we had fresh route info, including a recommended start time of 6-7 a.m.  Luxury!  Andy and Murray, who'd come in Friday and were planning on climbing with us, helped us melt snow and dig out a tent platform, which was welcome after the hot hike in from White River.

We summited at 2 and were back in camp by 3:45, packing up and hitting the road by 5.  We were out before dark, though sadly without enough time to stop for anything more than QFC sandwiches.  A fantastic weekend with an incredible team of folks on the 2, 3 and 4 day summit plan.  Great times, as always.

* QAdamsTAY.jpg (30.79 KB, 600x800 - viewed 592 times.)

* GroupWinthropTAY.jpg (46.51 KB, 800x600 - viewed 600 times.)

* APEmmonsTAY.jpg (75.43 KB, 599x800 - viewed 574 times.)
« Last Edit: 07/09/07, 10:40 PM by Marcus » Logged
ron j

Re: July 7-8, 2007, Emmons-Winthrop, Mt. Rainier
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/07, 08:07 PM »

Well done, you guys.
Great pics, too!

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
DaveSesski
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 07/10/07, 08:25 AM »

Great pics guys...Great to meet you up there!
I probably don't need to start a new thread since the route was described so well already.  Jeremy and I were fortunate to have slept through our alarms set for 3:30 am! We started up at 5:30 and descended around 1:15 and that may have been a bit too early given the conditions.  It was a bit firm on the top section under the bergshrund but softened considerably around 12,000 ft.   We recovered several items on our way down including a thermous and a shiney new blackdiamond head lamp, the latter of which I returned to its owner back down at camp and was rewarded with an ice cold can of Rainier Grin.  It doesn't get any better than that!
Sorry to hear the ranger snagged your sneakers! That hike out must have been brutal in ski boots!
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: 07/10/07, 08:30 AM »

Nice!  I was wondering if y'all were TAY folks.  Great to meet you and nice job Sunday.  A perfect weekend.  Fortunately the ranger didn't find my shoes, so the hike was only painful, not hideous.
cathyedavidson
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 07/10/07, 09:13 AM »

Awesome job!!!  Sounds like the weather Gods were with you and you had an enjoyable trip and great group!  I was wishing I was with you - or at least hanging at Schurman with a beer while watching you slog up and ski down - as I admired Rainier from the city/coast.  Skiing's the way to get down, huh!
Kirsten
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 07/10/07, 12:26 PM »

Skiing down is definitely the way to go but I gotta admit, the last little ski down the Interglacier with my full backpack just about killed me!  And thank goodness the Rainier rangers didn't steal our cached shoes ... that would have been horrible!   

What a GREAT trip!  Thanks again everyone (and Pete for organizing!) It was so fun being up there w/such fun friends and meeting some nice new folks from TAY.  Can't wait to do it again ... but next time Nate has to join us!   Grin

-- Q
Nate R
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 07/10/07, 12:51 PM »

Great job you guys!  I wish I coulda been there.  How soon will you be ready to go back up?  Smiley  I think my training regiment while you were up there of driving 4 hours to the coast, drinking for 12 hours and driving 4 hours back has me in tip-top shape.  I'm ready for a 1-day ascent!
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/07, 01:47 PM »

Ha!  What are you doing next Saturday?
Nate R
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/07, 02:25 PM »

Oh, looks like I mis-read my notes -- that was supposed to be "a 7-day ascent."
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.