telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/19/19, 02:35 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  July 8, 2007, Nisqually Chute
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 8, 2007, Nisqually Chute  (Read 1858 times)
jd

July 8, 2007, Nisqually Chute
« on: 07/09/07, 06:22 PM »

I did this as the last hurrah of a 5 day trip (see previous Hood-Adams-Rainier report) and a goodun it was.

Light hiking boots made it past Pebble Creek (where I met a couple of poser Marmots), then good skinning straight up (a few hundred feet left of the cattle track to smoother snow). A bit of a breeze kept me perfectly cool in a t-shirt and shorts.

I was surprised to find one of my regular partners, Jon Thompson, hanging out at Muir. We hung around some more (and Jon showed me his pretty pink cooler for beer and other such, then headed down around 2. The snow was good corn, getting a bit lumpy on the climbers track (though easily carved) so we headed down to the west on a smoother slope. This made for some good turns, and even better pictures, with the Nisqually Ice Cliff looming above. We continued all the way to the end of the snow (which is a sucker gully for the Chute) then climbed back up a few hundred feet to traverse down to the real thing.

The chute was in great shape, made even better by the previous skiers who had smoothed off some of the bumps. Jon had new bindings with adjustable tension that he'd set a bit too tight starting out and it had given him some trouble on the snowfield. He loosened them back to his normal tension and was ready to cut it up. He's a big guy, with dynamic technique, so I was glad he was back on his game so I could get some good photos in the Chute, which we took on the skiers right (after a 30 ft. scree traverse - skis off). The clouds moved in just as we exited so we timed it just right.

We took the low route out, coming up on the moraine trail where we put the skis back on for a nice cruise down to the trail half a mile from the visitor center.

I was running low on fresh food, and the beer was gone, but Jon came through with a frosty one, and half of an incredible BBQ pork sandwich he'd whipped up. A perfect end (other than the damn drive through strip mall hell in Puyallup) to a great trip.

* Muir-snow.jpg (61.03 KB, 600x450 - viewed 381 times.)
« Last Edit: 07/09/07, 06:35 PM by jd » Logged
ron j

Re: July 8, 2007, Nisqually Chute
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/07, 07:54 PM »

Nice report, great photos, JD!

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
atacomite
5Member

Re: July 8, 2007, Nisqually Chute
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/07, 12:50 PM »

Great Photos!!  Max and I did our best to clear the slush for you.  Glad it worked out...  It was nice to meet you and we'll hope to meet again.
Steve
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.