Home > Trip Reports > July 8- Unicorn Saddle, Tattoosh

July 8- Unicorn Saddle, Tattoosh

7/15/07
Posted by Scotsman on 7/9/07 1:45am
My son Stewie was supposed to do this TR but is busy with his buddy so he has delegated it to me. ::)

Stewie, Telemack and I met up with RonJ and Maddog in Eatonville for a Sunday tour. On the drive to MRNP we where delayed by a huge truck fire that completely destroyed the semi's cab. :-

After that excitement we drove to Paradise and after scoping the crowds and looking over to the Tattoosh, Ron decided the Unicorn saddle was for us via the Bench Lake Trail.

Down the road to the parking lot and immediately we were away from the crowds. It 's a very pleasant up and down trail to the lower bowl then we bootpacked up a steep gully to the upper bowl with magnificent scenery and cascading waterfalls.

From the lower edge of the lower bowl we where able to skin pretty continuously to the steep finall chute up to the Unicorn saddle.

A steep bootpack up to the saddle and then nice steep turns for a 1,300 ft run to the top of the second steep pitch on lightly suncupped snow that skied really well.

A quick de-ski to negotiate a bare patch and then the final steep pitch to our waiting trail shoes.
A nice tour with the dynamic duo of Ron and Jeanette.

Dinner at the Tall Timbers with RonJ giving Stewie dubious career advise( Freelance OBGYN!) and then home.

Ron has pictures
Yah, good tour and a welcome change from scrubbing and bolting in the Icicle.    ::)       Great crew. 
Chris, I still have your skins.  Keeping up was fine but the gear shuffle was a switch after 6 weeks off skis.  I wore sneakers/booted the whole climb. 
There was lots of plant debris on the snow in places, but still very skiable.   Hero snow for how steep it was. 

Thanks for taking over for Stewart, Scottie...

A few shots from the tour...

TeleMack Rippin'.

The MadDog havin' her way with the climber's chute.

Tennies from here.  More Photos HERE.

Mack, That was nice of you to do two laps on the most fun part of the tour (the talus fields) in the name of electronics.
Scottie, sorry I didn't get any action shots of you and Stewie, but I never got ahead of you long enough to snap a picture ??? 
Maybe you should up your smoking habit to 4 packs a day ;)

Stewart, don't forget all the things your dad told you NOT to tell your mother!! ::)

Oh man....I love that run....I'm working on the boat and not skiing  ::)

Great report Chris.  Sounds like a great crew to be with too!

Ron, super job on the photos.  These ones actually do a great jobs of conveying the steeps.  For some reason my "steep shots" always seem to make the terrain look like the Daisy run at Stevens.  Is there a technique to it?

Mack, 6 weeks off skis is not advisable given your proximity to the goods.

JW, sink 'da boat and ride the ferries now and then.

It was another beautiful day on the mountain, with great friends.  More photos here

Reply to this TR

july-8-unicorn-saddle-tattoosh
Scotsman
2007-07-09 08:45:32