Home > Trip Reports > July 6-7, 2007, Mount Baker and Sherman Peak

July 6-7, 2007, Mount Baker and Sherman Peak

7/6/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Matt C on 7/8/07 8:21am
On Friday, Toby and I leisurely hiked and skinned to our camp on the ridge next to the Sauk Glacier. The lower trail has some blowdown that was easily bypassed. I was surprised that the bugs were not to be found€¦unlike last weekend on Vancouver€™s local mountains where I ingested a few critters with each breath. We woke as the sun peered through the tent and made our way up. It turned out to be a quiet day on the mountain€¦only a few climbing parties and one party of boarders/skier from Darrington. Crevasses on-route to the summit were not an issue, although we did rope up part way.

Toby checking out the crater:

Made it to Baker's windy summit and had a quick bite to eat. The ski down the headwall was a bit firm but edgeable. Toby on the Roman Wall:

We decided to boot up Sherman peak to check out conditions on the Talum Glacier. After peering down we opted to save it for another day in favour of the prime cornage on the middle Sauk. Toby on his way up to Sherman Peak:

We laid down some large fast turns on the middle Sauk which was sweet smooth butter corn. We packed up camp and bashed slushy suncups down to the trail. Drank a cold tasty beer at the truck and scarfed down burgers on the drive home.
Nice photos. I like the black and white work, did you take them that way, or convert digitally? I've got to climb Sherman next time I'm up there.

Thanks JD. I've been converting the pics to black and white digitally. I think it adds some character to otherwise normal pics. Sherman Peak is definitely worth checking out. The peak gives you a great view of the crater and of the Boulder Glacier. Try to do it when there is still snow on the summit ridge to avoid the cement-like mud that sticks to your boots with a vengeance.

Good stuff Matt, as usual.  Nice work.

Reply to this TR

july-6-7-2007-mount-baker-and-sherman-peak
Matt C
2007-07-08 15:21:05