Home > Trip Reports > July 7, 2007, Table Mountain

July 7, 2007, Table Mountain

7/7/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by silaswild on 7/7/07 1:31pm
Late start from Seattle today with tomski after nice Chile ski info session last night.  Picked up Tim on the way, reached the Baker Ski Area Maintenance Shed and learned that is the end of the drivable road for now.  Nice buttery corn on all aspects of Table Mountain, much more snow at this time than a normal year.  Hopefully it means good skiing through August, and maybe more if we don't get too much of this darn California weather.....
Heya Silas- I was also up there on the 7th and was pleasantly surprised to find such excellent early July snow coverage and buttery corn around Table Mtn/Bagley Lakes basin. 

After a lazy start from Bellingham, I departed from Heather Meadows at the crack of noon, but still managed ~2,500 vf of skiing total on two separate steepish north-facing lines on opposite sides of Table Mountain.  Suncups were abundant, but were soft enough to blast through easily on the descents.  Nice to be back for a short outing in my ‘ol stomping grounds from the college days.  Saw several other skiers out and about around Table Mountain, and met up with a friendly group of Bellinghamsters out hiking near Bagley Lakes. Bagley Lakes are partially melted out, which made for an excellent ‘huck-n’splash’ to cool off at the end of the outing  ;D
Additional pics posted here.

Nice photos, Mr. Freak, and nice choice of departure time.  That is certainly way better coverage than normal mid-July.  Silas called at some ungodly hour of morning Saturday, but I was not to be persuaded out of bed. 

Sorry to have missed you (again) Tomski.  Today I busied myself practicing getting wet in (and out of) my kayak in the currents at Deception Pass. 

enjoy,

Mark

PS: Chris, you're apparently highly accomplished at the use of the self-timer.

Wow, that's a nice huck.  Sorry I missed bumping into the Silas crew, but somehow I didn't manage to leave the parking lot until after 4  ;D.  The snow was still good at 6, even though it was starting to be in the shade.

I think I must have talked to Tomski in the parking lot this morning?  The clouds kept the bumps a little firmer today (at least in the morning), but you can't complain about the approach.

Reply to this TR

july-7-2007-table-mountain
silaswild
2007-07-07 20:31:29