Home > Trip Reports > July 2-3, N Face of NW Ridge, Mt Adams (attempt)

July 2-3, N Face of NW Ridge, Mt Adams (attempt)

7/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Paul_Russell on 7/5/07 3:47pm
Monika and I went in to the N side of Mt Adams after skiing Mt Hood on Sunday hoping to ski the N Face of the NW Ridge.  First obstacle was FS Rd 23 being closed going N from Trout Lake requiring +3 hours of additional driving.  Arrived at the Killen Cr TH about 9pm, and managed to hike about 2 hours to camp at 6200' in good position for the climb.  Left camp at 4:30am.  We decided to take all our gear with the idea of camping on the summit and descending the route on July 4, or possibly ski the SW Chutes, then reclimb the White Salmon Gl route.  The face looked to be in good condition, but overall, the climb and descent were a bit spicy for our combined taste, involving 45 degree ice climbing for 2000'  and a  exposed descent route.  After much discussion and looking at alternatives (the Adams Gl route looked very broken up), we found time slipping away and the sun rising which gave way to being pelted by rocks from above (in effort to trim gear, we left helmets behind).  Altogether a good choice for us to turn around, but left us wanting more for another time...still there, for those willing.
thanks Paul, it was a good trip nonetheless.  learned respect for the rock fall. 

would rather ski down vs. climb up that semi-icy exposure until i find myself an ice climbing course ( :

Good call. I saw your tracks and they were very nice (can't beat the view below the glacier).

I spent the last three days up there. I skied the Pinnacle Glacier HW and found awesome snow, although dirty. This was a lot of fun. I skied the NW Ridge the next day (today) and it scared the hell out of me. My pons dropped off my pack (dumbass!) and I couldn't back off. I had to take it veryyyy slow and I eventually made it to the bottom.

Two days, two ends of the spectrum (the white salmon looked pretty good but a top down perspective can be a little scewed).

Next time try Lava Ridge (earlier in the year). That's a wonderful ski.

wow, sounds like a sporty couple of days you guys!  glad you both made it out in one piece, avoided being pelted by rocks and enjoyed a nice ski down.  way to go!  ;)

Actually it was just me (unless you count the mice). I would've loved to have someone along, but everyone else had to work  ???.

Thanks Jason, glad you made it out safely.  Curious, did you climb and ski the NW ridge, or the N Face of the NW Ridge.  I'm assuming the Face.  We also looked at the NW Ridge but it had a big schrund problem unless you went lower and got on the scree.  We also considered the Pinnacle HW and Lava or Lyman Gl.  Lyman looked a bit far, and wasn't sure if enough snow on Lava.  As you said, maybe earlier in the season next year. 

Good job getting that route done solo!

On your first picture on the far right, there is a patch of rock on the left of the schrund. I was barely able to squeeze through there. I climbed the n ridge and skied the nw ridge.

The Lymans and Lava are a lot closer than the pinnacle (time wise) which took me several hours to return from where as the lymans or lava take maybe an hour or two since the terrain is so easy going. We've never even had to put skins on returning from any of those routes.

Reply to this TR

july-2-3-n-face-of-nw-ridge-mt-adams-attempt
Paul_Russell
2007-07-05 22:47:17