Home > Trip Reports > Fourth of July MRNP, Flett Glacier

Fourth of July MRNP, Flett Glacier

7/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Lisa on 7/5/07 3:35pm
Kim, Michael and I ventured up through Spray Park to do some touring around Echo and Observation Rocks on the Flett Glacier. 
Snow patches began at Spray park and linked all the way to Observation Rock with only a few small heather patches to navigate.

As we neared our destination of Observation Rock, I spotted a beautiful line on the North face and pointed it out to Michael. 
No sooner we noticed someone hiking up the scree shoulder just above the snow.  I kept thinking maybe it's a hiker going to the top.
But no, as we watched they dropped into the line and while squelching my aspirations, my heart sank.  Someone beat us to it! 
Once we neared, we noticed the line was broken by daunting cliffs beneath.  The boarder had skirted the edge of the slope riding the shoulder. 

We topped out at Observation Rock where we made a short hike around the backside to meet up with another line we had been looking at.
Sure enough we came out on top of the run and hesitated briefly as we looked down the estimated 50 degree start.  We thought it may sluff a bit and deliberated who would go first until growing antsy, I decided to cut the slope. 
I gave Michael and Kim the "it's a go" holler and along they came linking beautiful turns. Although steep at the start, the slope quickly became 40 degrees for I would guess 800 ft.

From ear to ear we grinned as we made our way back to Spray Park to change into trail shoes for the final 3 miles to the car, where cold drinks awaited our arrival.
It was a great day with virtually no one around and a wonderful silence that left me wanting more as we glanced back at our sexy turns.
Nice report, Lisa.
Sounds like you nailed the Flett Headwall.
Sweeeet.

Nice trip, Lisa.  In the perspective of the whole tour, I suppose, that was a short scramble around Observation Rock. But it was worth it.  Standing on the edge of the  head "wall" I began questioning my lightweight Goode skis, my tweaked hamstring, my rebuilt shoulder and all other manner of left brain concerns.  Thanks for cutting the slope and providing the  beta I needed to carry on and stop poking the snow with my pole. You and Kim were really fun to travel with, Gouda cheese and crackers included.

SWEEEEEET is right!  ;D Yes, the trip around Observation rock was just a hop, skip, and a slide through the scree to a sweet and supple line.   Thanks for your patience and hangin' back for me.  I'm feelin' charged up and ready for the next one!!!

Nice work; that Flett Headwall sure is a fun line.  I should’ve looked a little closer at the Flett for fresh ski tracks on July 4th from our group’s distant viewpoint at Dege Peak.  Kim- good to see you’re out enjoying the early summer corn!

author=Lisa link=topic=7539.msg30064#msg30064 date=1183703758]
Kim, Michael and I ventured....

As we neared our destination of Observation Rock, I spotted a beautiful line on the North face and pointed it out to Michael. 
No sooner we noticed someone hiking up the scree shoulder just above the snow.  I kept thinking maybe it's a hiker going to the top.
But no, as we watched they dropped into the line and while squelching my aspirations, my heart sank.  Someone beat us to it! 

Ooops! Sorry, that was me. I had intended to only go up as far as the bootpack we found, but that patch kept going up. I was thinking I was all cool hiking to the base of the rock there but then a hiker in shorts and floppy hat popped up from around the back? I looked at the way you all went but decided to stick with what I climbed (and to stay with my partner...)

Michael, I think Alex and I chatted with you near the trailhead?

It was a pretty gorgeous day, though!

Jon

Hey jon,
Nice meeting you. It looked like that line went pretty well. We met the hiker also. I felt sorry for him having to walk all the way back down. 

author=ovrthhills link=topic=7539.msg30272#msg30272 date=1184343063]
I felt sorry for him having to walk all the way back down.   

No kidding!

I mean, I am all for anyone getting outside, by any means possible. And I get that if EVERYONE wanted to ski as much as I do, we would have been waiting in line for the chance to climb up there. But still- glissading? downclimbing? I just can't wrap my head around it...

Jon

Reply to this TR

fourth-of-july-mrnp-flett-glacier
Lisa
2007-07-05 22:35:58