Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2007, Sherman Peak rerun

July 4, 2007, Sherman Peak rerun

7/4/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by silaswild on 7/5/07 1:35pm
Sherman was so good last month and JD's report from Sunday made it sound no different, so we returned for more of the same yesterday.  Jonathan finished his sixth day skiing out of the past week, notching three of the top 100 Washington peaks.  Tim got his 46th, and Jim skipped the true summit to join us.  The first two hundred feet off the summit were the best, a quarter inch of corn on a firm base.  The next 3000' were 6" soft and consistent slush, then 2500' of soft suncups and runnels, followed by 500' of connect the patches in the trees.  Only 800' vertical of walking made for a high fun-o-meter ski day.  The skies were super clear and a little breeze keep things pleasant.
Great trip, Silas.  Thanks for organizing. I always thought "creeking" was a kayaking term.  Now I can see  it applies to backcountry skiing as well:

good pic of you guys on scherman from the summit of baker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spcmanspiff/734021250/in/set-72157600684031464/

Cool picture, Eli.  Thanks!

Flickr is kinda cool, the way they make the orignal size availalbe for download. It is now my desktop.

Thanks for puttin' this trip together Silas!  I had a great time -- except for the part where us and the lady in the station wagon and the two motorcyles and the ambulance all converged.  Jonathan thought we were somewhat deranged for climbing and skiing unroped, and for the little crevasse crossing on collapsing snowbridges. Little did he know at the time of the real danger of a trip with the Wild Man of the Cascades!!

nice report, Silas, and of course, excellent photos -- all eye-pleasing composition.  thanks for sharing.

Wow, love that pic of Sherman Peak from Grant Peak!  (I knew the ridge there was exposed, but still, I get a bit nervous now zooming in on me at the very tippy top, about to execute a hop turn to begin my descent...)
My pics are posted here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/20070704BakerShermanSquawk
(Happy to email the original size pics if anyone wants them.)
author=tim_place link=topic=7538.msg30076#msg30076 date=1183748790]
Jonathan thought we were somewhat deranged for climbing and skiing unroped, and for the little crevasse crossing on collapsing snowbridges. Little did he know at the time of the real danger of a trip with the Wild Man of the Cascades!!

Also, just for the record, I was not proposing that we ski down all roped up, but instead just that we have a means of rescuing a skier from a crevasse.  (Out of the party of four that went to Sherman, I carried a full rescue kit, but nobody would have been able to rescue me, and out of the other three skiers, only one wore a harness, which would have significantly complicated my ability to rescue the other two.)

Reply to this TR

july-4-2007-sherman-peak-rerun
silaswild
2007-07-05 20:35:25