Home > Trip Reports > Twin Lakes, July 4, 2007

Twin Lakes, July 4, 2007

7/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Glorificus Adventum on 7/5/07 6:56am
Decided to take advantage of the perfect weather on the fourth for some July turns. Headed up twin lakes road with my fiancé. The last bit prior to the yellow aster butte/tomyhoi trailhead is a bit washed out. Something with clearance is advisable (such as a subaru or truck). The road past the trailhead on up to the lakes has always been rough but I think this is a whole new level. Upon leaving my fiancé gazing upon the essentially snow free hills and declined to take the skis for "there is no snow to be had". The three or four creeks that run across the road have really made a mess of this road but the outlet for twin lakes has managed to cut a three foot deep ditch through the road. The last mile prior to the lake has snow on the road with some downed trees but easily passable. Twin lakes and the surrounding peaks still have great coverage. We went up to the peak directly across from Winchester. I always opt to take the more direct route up which in this case happened to be the steepest but nothing that axes and crampons didn€™t take care of (green line). Skied off the summit to the climbers left (red line). The sun cups were not nearly as bad as the runnels but still perfectly enjoyable. The snow was good corn and very predictable. There is something so wonderful about skiing in shorts€¦ This being my first time with the heels locked down was a huge shock. I€™ve been teleing for the last five years or so but thought I might try this for summer forays. We€™ll see.
  I sounds like you may be changing your name soon.....It also sounds like you can get up the road to Twin Lakes with a decent vehicle. That was definitely not the case in April when we climbed Goat. NOTHING could go past the washouts a mile before the Aster Butte Trail Head.

They patched them up a little while ago.  Also the road to the Chowder ridge trail opened July 1 and there's good skiing available from that.  On July 2 you still couldn't quite reach the road's end.  The snow along the ridge was much smoother (without suncups) than at Heather Meadow.

nice job Matt! JP told me of your new set-up. howd it work out for you?

we spent the 4th on a leisurely boot to the top of Pan Dome then headed down North Face and Pea Garden for some 'in bounds' action and then later met up with JP and Dave in the lot for some snow-stashed beers. what great weather!

Reply to this TR

twin-lakes-july-4-2007
Glorificus Adventum
2007-07-05 13:56:37